Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tire Blow Out

I just took my 88 Comp in because the tires were starting to get some weather checking so figured I would replace them. Turns out they were the original tires. Date stamp on them was 1987. Replaced them with a new set of Carlisle aluminum wheels and Carlisle tires and kept one of the originals for sentimental value (and to use as a spare). I'm not going to be happy if I have a blowout right away with the new set knowing the original set went almost 26 years and were still running strong.

I think the bottom line is that tires (like other things) aren't made like they used to be. I don't care what the brand, I don't think you'll find any tires that last 26 years anymore.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    For us professional tire shredders, this is what we call a "complete blow-out." This is obviously on my camper and not the boat trailer. It happened literally on mile 423 of a 425 mile trip. I never felt it and had to be notified by some people driving by. The camper is kept under a cover, the tire was only 3 years old, it was inspected before the trip and inflated to the proper amount. Please don't buy Carlisle tires. This is the fourth one I've blown.

Thanks for the tip on the Carlisle tires I was just getting ready to buy a set.