Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

nice big boat with nice big engine. definitely worth a full rebuild if you so choose to. And dont be scared to work on any part of your boat yourself theres plenty of help here and plenty of good upgrades that your boat will accept. its a fine hull even by todays standards.

For inspiration look at Googers boat.... Yours is in the same "Then" category. Supra boats are all worth all the sweat and work of a rebuild. When complete they are stunning.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    I would check the rear platform mounts. That platform may pull off of there by the looks of the fiberglass cracks. Bet the wood behind gas tank is gone as well.
    And I would also pull those supertrapps off and at least seal them up good or even better, eliminate them. Those are/were a major source of water being introduced into these hulls and leading to the dreaded stringer rot. I ditched mine last year and have been pleased ever since because now my boat stays dry when in the water, and that is a difficult feat to pull off especially in a Comp. Also, just flat out replace that bilge pump, don't repair it as it is worth the peace of mind to have a new fully functioning bilge pump.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    As for the motor mounts, it won't hurt to open them up a bit. The reality is, you need to remove those bolts and dig a screwdriver down in there a bit. If it feels like sponge, you're due for stringers. If it's solid, go for the bigger lags and get a good hold. But keep in mind, this is just a band-aid.
    I'll start with the lags, as soon as I finalize the post purchase deal with the seller, trying to get him to adjust the sale price which is NOT fun, but at least he's talking so thats a good thing. I know it's a band-aid...I did stick a screw driver into the stringer and it wasn't super spongy I'll just have to see how the lags go in. Got some PIA drilling to do with the engine mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    And I would also pull those supertrapps off and at least seal them up good or even better, eliminate them.
    You reccomend just putting flappers on? Those just basically clamp on in-place of the supertrapps right? Like these - http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBB137159

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    And I would also pull those supertrapps off and at least seal them up good or even better, eliminate them.
    So I just take off the Supertrapps and put these on? http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BBB137159 Looks simple enough...

Welcome to the salt club! I bought mine last fall an had a lot of the same issues. I went back to the seller and he ended up giving me 1000 back. I picked mine up for 3500 and have put alot into it during the rebuild, but I can guarentee that it will be better then factory when I am done.

A good test to do if you can is to weigh the boat. She is a big lady to start with (3400 lbs), but when I weighed it, it was tipping the scales at close to 4600 lbs. when I got to tearing into her, I could see why!! I removed more wet foam then I ever care to again. I am still not done with my rebuild, but it isn't that difficult. Just take your expected finish date and add about 4 months to it!
    I'm in the car right now but will shoot you a link to some pictures of the rebuild. Like others have said, there are several that have done this and they are a wealth of knowledge.
    Good luck!!

Here is a link to my restore
    http://s919.photobucket.com/user/jas...boat%20rebuild
    Last edited by jasun; 06-05-2013 at 03:41 AM.
    86 Saltare

hey, did you return the boat? i got an email from a seller saying that their was some problems with the boat he sold and it is now up for sale again.

are those cracks by the swim platform mounts?

I would like to return it, I even offered to compensate the seller with a couple hunred bucks cash, AND deliver it down to him, but I haven't heard back. I would be interested in restoring it, but I just had a baby a week ago and do not have the time OR the money to do a complete rebuild...this was supposed to be our summer get away and it has turned into a summer nightmare. The cracks by the swim mount appear to be from the installer of the aftermarket swim mount getting a little too overzealous tightening. You can't feel the cracks so I'm hoping they are just in the final gel coat...they probably aren't though...