Thread: DIY Wake shaper

Hybrid View

It does clean up the wave and make it longer but the wave loses all push, so i took it off and had a dirtier shorter wave but a lot more push. I think i'm just going to stick with slamming one side of the boat. It was fun to tinker with though, just couldn't get enough push.
    Function before fashion!

I had the same problem. I decreased the angle to about 20 degrees and dumped my front weight and it made all the difference. decreasing the angle allows the non side wake to back up the surf side a little giving it some peak. Like figuring out your ballast, you have to figure out your ballast, gate angle and speed. The result is dramatic with significant less weight needed, no dangerous lean and quit switch to the other side. I'm using my 750 bags in the rear lockers only compared to one of them in the locker, one on the surf side floor and my 1100 lb bag in the front.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I hear ya about less angle, Makes sense. One thing you should know about my "rudder" design is that it does not make it's own wake on the surf side. It's only 1/2 inch thick and free floats when not locked into position.
    I may have to try it again with less angle. I don't think it takes much to delay the 2 waves.
    Function before fashion!

Thanks to a little persuasion from CornRickey i tried my "rudder" again. This time I drilled 3 holes behind the original pin setting so i could try different angles. The results were surprising to say the least. It turns out that you need very little side force on a saltare to clean up the wake. The more side force you apply the longer and shorter the wave gets. So i used the last pin setting which is maybe at 7 degrees and cleaned the wake but left all the push. I did a little video of both sides using the last pin and only 1000# for ballast, the boat had 1/2 tank of gas and 3 people in the boat. I'll post video as soon as it's done loading on youtube.
    Last edited by 2500HD; 06-30-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong number for ballast weight
    Function before fashion!