Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: DIY Wake shaper

2500HD, i noticed you made your own FAE out of PVC/ABS--how has it held up? i'm going to be doing the same soon, any tips or suggestions about things that worked or didn't work when making it?
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Quote Originally Posted by jtryon View Post
    2500HD, i noticed you made your own FAE out of PVC/ABS--how has it held up? i'm going to be doing the same soon, any tips or suggestions about things that worked or didn't work when making it?
    So far no problems at all. Just make sure to dry fit before glueing.
    Function before fashion!

2500HD, that looks amazing! I really want to get that installed!
    Guessing you did the install your self?
    How does this differ from wakemakers wave control? https://www.wakemakers.com/wavecontrol
    To me it looks very similar. Wavecontrol is $4000! This is $400!
    Thanks. Paul

All of the systems are similar in design in that there is an actuator and a tab mounted just like any trim tab would be. This year i will probably play around with the size and shape of the tab a little. I think mine is somewhere in between a mastercraft tab and the go surf assist system. The main difference is my tabs have no automation except when i turn off the boat they automatically retract.
    Function before fashion!

Do you have the regular or LED switch? Just wondering if you put the tabs down all the way or not. I could see the LED useful if you only put them part of the way down.

Just the regular switch, i put the tab all the way down but with bigger tabs that may change. I have also found that turning slightly away from the surf side increases the size of the wave. it's contrary to normal surfing but it works for my hull.
    Function before fashion!

I emailed both Lenco and Bennett asking what they recommend for surf tabs for my boat and got the follow responses back.

Lenco
    All of the surf tab systems we sell are custom designs by various OEMs. They are therefore proprietary blades & controls. We are not permitted to sell most of these blades through aftermarket distribution due to this fact. If customers are creating their own surf tab set up, they are doing it without recommendations from us, as it violates the agreements we have with our OEMs. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with!

Bennett
    Well, we offer Wakeplate systems, but we don’t specifically manufacture Surf tab systems. Of course, they are basically a trim tab system installed outboard as far as possible either in a normal trim tab installation (trim tabs positioned to deploy down into the hull surface’s water flow or tilted outboard to deploy outboard into the side wake. The later choice is normally reserved for the ski/wake boat manufacturing companies, since that can design the hull around this type of application so the vessel will run correct & true from the factory (not recommended as an aftermarket installation). One of the main issues with Surf tab systems has to do with the vertical height requirement to install the actuators so far outboard on a ski/wake boat, since these vessels normally have VERY LIMITED height to work with under the swim platforms. We combat this issue by being able to manufacture shorter overall length Classic Hydraulic Actuators, which CAN STILL have our standard 2-1/2” overall stroke length that is normal for a standard TRIM TAB SYSTEM. Also, the overall shorter length actuators allow us to install the actuators at the standard attachment point (8-5/8” back from the transom) on the trim tabs to obtain 20 to 25 degrees of trim tab deployment when installed. And one more capability we have with our Classic Hydraulic Actuators is that we can modify the overall stroke length of the actuators too. We can increase (up to 3-1/4”) or decrease (less than an 1”) per the OEM’s request, so we have quite a bit of customization capabilities to meet our clients needs.Do you have a photo of YOUR transom you can email to us, so we can see what type of mounting limitiations you are working around?

All surf tab systems are just glorified trim tabs.
    Function before fashion!

Man my head is spinning. I've been reading about surf gates, ghetto gates, suck gates, etc for days. I have a 2011 242 Sunsport. Just in the process of ordering ballast upgrades. (1280lb WakeMakers in each rear locker). I will probably get another 1000lb bag to go under in the front walk thru area in the bow under the bridge cushion. I just want something that keeps me from listing the boat and won't be crazy expensive while giving huge clean wave. Too much to ask? i'm ehausted lol.

I'm in a similar boat, but I have a 2011 Launch 22V, so a bit smaller. I'm going to do a suck gate - not a fan of the velcro going directly on the boat for the Ronix-type of gate, and I'm trying to stay fairly "clean", portable, easy to switch sides, etc. But, for now, I load up the port-side rear locker with my 1,100 lb bag, throw my fat friend in the port-side corner (sort of hanging on the deck) - my fat friend is my original 450 lb bag that I use a portable pump to fill, and then maybe put a bit of weight up front, but not too much. The wave may not be as long, but man, it's big. But, looking to add a suck gate so I can retire my fat friend and easily switch from regular to goofy.
    Mark
    2011 Launch 22V