Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: DIY Wake shaper

Quote Originally Posted by dbatech99 View Post
    Man my head is spinning. I've been reading about surf gates, ghetto gates, suck gates, etc for days. I have a 2011 242 Sunsport. Just in the process of ordering ballast upgrades. (1280lb WakeMakers in each rear locker). I will probably get another 1000lb bag to go under in the front walk thru area in the bow under the bridge cushion. I just want something that keeps me from listing the boat and won't be crazy expensive while giving huge clean wave. Too much to ask? i'm ehausted lol.
    Just experiment. Anything that delays the convergence works. You just have to come up with something to hold it temporarily without damaging the hull

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

With the size of your boat and the amount of weight you can add i would just build a suck gate. we just built one for my buddies 05 xlv moomba and with both rear 1100 bags half full and his center locker half full the wave was spectacular. I used the mission delta on my boat with both rear 750's full and the wave was great but it worked the engine to hard for my taste.
    All of my systems were before the suck gate and i love the tab system that i eventually settled on. It does require a bit more weight but it is easier on the engine. I also think that if i had to do it all over again i would probably do a suck gate and not fill my bags quite as much.
    My recomendation is buy some suction cups and a cuting board and start building a gate.
    Function before fashion!

I forgot to add that 5x9 was the most you needed to get the gate to work. One other tip is to tie it to your tower with the tab side facing forward and use a clay bar to remove wax or lake slime from where it sits. This will help to eliminate the gate from sliding off the boat.
    Function before fashion!