Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wake shaper

Damn! Those Ram Mounts are EXPENSIVE!!

http://www.e-mount.com/page_results....tring=04005001
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    2500HD -- Are you getting these ideas from another board or did you engineer this one yourself? I'd like to build a similar setup (I'd just build 2 and put one on either side) but I'd like to read more about it and see some other photos if there is development happening anywhere.
    The most comprehensive thread is on the Malibu forum. do a search for "DIY Surf Gate" or go here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...poormans-gate/

Basically the concept is that you're putting in a 'gate' like Malibu does on their new surf gate on the OPPOSITE side that you're surfing on to delay the convergence of the two wakes coming off your boat. this not only elongates the surf pocket but also tends to clean up the surf wake because it delays where the darkside wake flows over the surf wake until later behind the longer pocket... It really doesn't make the surf wake bigger, but it does tend to allow people to weight the boat more evenly and minimize or eliminate the need to list the boat hard.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Damn! Those Ram Mounts are EXPENSIVE!!

http://www.e-mount.com/page_results....tring=04005001
    The site you're looking at seems way high. Try here:
    http://www.gpscity.com/mounts

Many people are just using 2x4's and what not and attaching to teak platforms... Lots of options here. All the way up to using trim tab actuators...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

the ram mounts i came up with after deciding to use them on my bimini. but the rest is from the malibu forum and a guy from the centurion forum. I'm pretty sure i have read every post on the surfgate.lol
    Like trayson said, i don't want to have to switch bags back and forth to surf different sides plus it really, really cleaned up the darkside wake. I'm pretty sure that the little bit of countersteer you have to do with the rudder helps to push a lot of wash in the other direction from where you are surfing there by cleaning up the wave.
    Function before fashion!

ram mounts don't hold enough so i'm gonna use my prototype except i'll hinge it so i can stow it away easily.
    Function before fashion!

I'm gonna try raising my old swimdeck with a 2x4. It's sitting about 6 inches under water when weighted. Out of curiosity have you try'd one with a taper with the bottom edge tapering towards the top? Just wondering if it would help eliminate the spray and still give the boat enough crab?
    Function before fashion!

Thought you might be interested in my latest design. Not sure if enough of it will be in the water at speed though. Guess i'll find out this weekend!
    It's pretty much a free floating rudder that can be pinned to the side. I'm hoping enough of it is in the water underspeed to delay the wave convergence.

yes, that is a scrench acting as a temporary pin

a shot from under hull
    Function before fashion!

I don't think you will have any problem with it staying in the water at speed. I think your issue will be having enough diversion of the water coming off the side of the boat to make a difference. I think stearing might be a issue since what it is is a rudder. Let me know how it does.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I've been using the term rudder for any type of surfgate, that's what brought me to this idea. It also was because of your post of the non surfside gate disrupting the wake that brought me to the idea of a free floating gate. That is until it is pinned in place. If this one doesn't work I will try bolting it to to the pivot point at an angle to increase the surface area in the water.
    Function before fashion!

I like it. I didnt get any video of it but what I was experiencing was the gate was making its own wake in the surf wake and screwing it up. unless you can figure out a way to have it completely out of the water it will always do it. if you look at the diy video were they have both gates installed they do it. the Malibu system does it also.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001