Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wake shaper

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    I've been using the term rudder for any type of surfgate, that's what brought me to this idea. It also was because of your post of the non surfside gate disrupting the wake that brought me to the idea of a free floating gate. That is until it is pinned in place. If this one doesn't work I will try bolting it to to the pivot point at an angle to increase the surface area in the water.
    Well, how did it go?
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

It does clean up the wave and make it longer but the wave loses all push, so i took it off and had a dirtier shorter wave but a lot more push. I think i'm just going to stick with slamming one side of the boat. It was fun to tinker with though, just couldn't get enough push.
    Function before fashion!

I had the same problem. I decreased the angle to about 20 degrees and dumped my front weight and it made all the difference. decreasing the angle allows the non side wake to back up the surf side a little giving it some peak. Like figuring out your ballast, you have to figure out your ballast, gate angle and speed. The result is dramatic with significant less weight needed, no dangerous lean and quit switch to the other side. I'm using my 750 bags in the rear lockers only compared to one of them in the locker, one on the surf side floor and my 1100 lb bag in the front.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I hear ya about less angle, Makes sense. One thing you should know about my "rudder" design is that it does not make it's own wake on the surf side. It's only 1/2 inch thick and free floats when not locked into position.
    I may have to try it again with less angle. I don't think it takes much to delay the 2 waves.
    Function before fashion!

Thanks to a little persuasion from CornRickey i tried my "rudder" again. This time I drilled 3 holes behind the original pin setting so i could try different angles. The results were surprising to say the least. It turns out that you need very little side force on a saltare to clean up the wake. The more side force you apply the longer and shorter the wave gets. So i used the last pin setting which is maybe at 7 degrees and cleaned the wake but left all the push. I did a little video of both sides using the last pin and only 1000# for ballast, the boat had 1/2 tank of gas and 3 people in the boat. I'll post video as soon as it's done loading on youtube.
    Last edited by 2500HD; 06-30-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong number for ballast weight
    Function before fashion!

one small disclaimer, it was really choppy.
    Function before fashion!

looking pretty good.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

One thing this design should allow me to do is really adjust the wave. I.E lots of weight in the back adjust to a steeper setting and lengthen the wave. not much weight just use a shallow angle and clean the wave but don't lengthen.
    Function before fashion!

Well, it makes sense to try a rudder approach. I mean, that's what Centurian is doing for their newest boat.

NEW! Centurion Articulating Tracking System (CATS)
    In 1990, Ski Centurion introduced the patented Centurion Articulating Tracking System (CATS) to enhance a ski boat’s steering and tracking ability. In 2014, Centurion has done it again, this time introducing a CATS fin with a focus on adjusting for the perfect wake. Through a steering column lever or Touch Vision System, the new CATS fin articulates under the boat on command. While the boat is underway, the CATS fin will deflect the bow of the boat so each rider can manipulate the shape of the wave giving total control of the face, vertical aspect, length and position. While wake surfing with a CATS fin equipped boat and its instant wave adjustments, riders can take their surfing to the next level. Not limited to wake surfing, the new CATS also helps adjust wakeboard wakes without changing onboard ballast or moving people about the boat. Simply adjust the CATS fin port or starboard – based on your boat’s weight with crew and gear – instantly perfecting the wake.
    The CAT System gives the driver of the boat the ability to change the angle of the tracking fin underneath the boat. By manipulating the angle of the tracking fin the boat planes on a different axis changing the steepness of the wave and length of the pocket. Not only is this great for surfing but a way to get the wake even on both sides for wakeboarding, wakeskating or even waterskiing. I drive my boat a lot and there is nothing worse than having to ask people, especially women, to sit on the otherside of the boat in order to even out the wake. Thanks Centurion for getting rid of that headache!

So, who is going to be the first to drill a hole in the bilge and install another rudder in the middle of thier boat??? Now, to figure out where to put the 2nd steering wheel! LOL. Maybe just a Port/Starboard rocker switch?

Maybe you should also tweak your wake plate to be asymetrical like Centurion is doing as well?

The reason boats have a great surf wake on one side and a not so great one on the other is because of the direction the prop spins. The Assymetrical Wing Plate makes for a great surf wave on both port and starboard sides. In addition the wing plate also keeps the exhaust from hitting the water making for a much cleaner wake. Oh and of course just like other trim tabs you have the ability to adjust the plate to change steepness and length of the wave.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

damn, and i thought i had come up with something new. love the wave on the enzo though.
    Function before fashion!