Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY Wake shaper

on the wake plate i may try some sheetmetal and rivets. and maybe a rudder in the center drain plug would work?
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    on the wake plate i may try some sheetmetal and rivets. and maybe a rudder in the center drain plug would work?
    If you look under your boat where the center drain plug goes thru the hull, at least on my boat that is smack dab in between two tracking fins.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Yep, that's where mine is also. And i'm not drilling any holes in my hull! My system works great and it takes about 3 seconds to adjust.
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Well, it makes sense to try a rudder approach. I mean, that's what Centurian is doing for their newest boat.

So, who is going to be the first to drill a hole in the bilge and install another rudder in the middle of thier boat??? Now, to figure out where to put the 2nd steering wheel! LOL. Maybe just a Port/Starboard rocker switch?

Maybe you should also tweak your wake plate to be asymetrical like Centurion is doing as well?

I don't think it would be the drilling the hole, installing a rudder port, finding a mini rudder and wiring a servo to drive it -- that all seems easy compared to the math of figuring out in what position it should be doing what and then tying that into our boats that have mechanical throttles and steering. What a nightmare!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I don't think it would be the drilling the hole, installing a rudder port, finding a mini rudder and wiring a servo to drive it -- that all seems easy compared to the math of figuring out in what position it should be doing what and then tying that into our boats that have mechanical throttles and steering. What a nightmare!
    I was thinking that you'd install the mini-rudder with a servo to move it left/right. Then it would simply be trial and error to dial it in. Like changing the trim on an I/O. Certainly wouldn't have it be automated. The hardest part would probably be to find "center" after you're done.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

got both my "rudder's" put on the boat. Now i can switch sides in about 3 seconds.
    Function before fashion!

Got to do a few sessions today and i'm very pleased! With the boat evenly weighted i don't have to use the gate on the port side but when i do it makes a super mellow almost buttery wave that is great for beginners. I may try to put in one more setting at an even mellower angle.
    Pull the pin and move it to the darkside and i have a super long wave with plenty of push. Takes more time to find my lifejacket than it does to switch sides. I think i will try one more setting on this side as well just to steepin the wave. I realized after we were done that i had forgot to move the wake plate up, so the wave could be even a little better.
    Function before fashion!

Interesting. Any better pics at the angle you're at now?

I may give my "surfgate" another try. I may have too much angle and too large of a tab. I had zero push from the wave but the pocket was long!1009928_10200609746379398_590232564_n.jpg

I'll go get some and post them up.
    Function before fashion!

this was the best way i had to show the angles since it is hidden under the swimdeck

Function before fashion!