Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wake shaping

Default Wake shaping

Trying to dial in my wake and I'm wondering for those of you that still ski, do you run your wake plate flush with the bottom of the hull or 1/4 inch above or below? Right now mine is relatively flush but I'm wondering if setting a tad below will flatten my wake out more without having too great of a negative impact on high speed handling when driving the boat.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

On my launch, before my wakeplate motor took a poop, I ran the wakeplate pretty much all the way down for slalom skiing and it seemed the best. I didn't notice a significant change to handling.

Running my plate down def. smooths out my wake.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default Wake shaping

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Running my plate down def. smooths out my wake.
    There has to be a fine line though I think because my buddy who also has a Comp had the wake plate all the way down and his wake was bigger and more firm than mine was. He has since gone to a similar setting that I'm running. I'm more curious as to whether anyone has found an optimal setting for skiing.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

The wake plate is a funny thing the difference from perfect and too much is 1/2 degree sometimes. Also to add more grief speed, weight and weight distribution also effect the performance too, so its all about baby steps and trial and error.

I would try a tad positive by 2-3 degree to start, this will drive the bow down and raise the stern of the boat out of the water a hare.
    Last edited by DAFF; 06-07-2013 at 11:37 AM.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Trying to dial in my wake and I'm wondering for those of you that still ski, do you run your wake plate flush with the bottom of the hull or 1/4 inch above or below? Right now mine is relatively flush but I'm wondering if setting a tad below will flatten my wake out more without having too great of a negative impact on high speed handling when driving the boat.
    Yes I do run it flush.

I found this general article about the wake plate. http://www.scdealerconnect.com/produ...an-do-for-you-
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Quote Originally Posted by foxriverat View Post
    I found this general article about the wake plate. http://www.scdealerconnect.com/produ...an-do-for-you-
    Excellent article. Provides some great insight.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended). I understand how the wakeplate works and how it should trim the boat, but wake shaping is also about where the rooster tail is as well as how flat the boat rides. One would think that getting the boat as flat as possible would get the wake as small as possible, but then the rooster tail may be in the wrong spot making things less than optimal. I too would love advice from anyone who feels they have dialed their wake on an older Supra to be just right for slalom. Once I get mine where I want it, it'll be left there. Anything other than slalom on my boat will just be goofing around, and any wake is good enough for that.

So I finally got the boat out for some sea trials and got a chance to check out how the boat rides. I thought it was too bow up for slalom so I adjusted my wake plate from full up where the PO had it, to a few deg below level. The bow still rides higher than I figure it should, but I haven't skied behind it yet so I don't know how the wake actually is. I did notice in the Comp/Conbrio manual that it says the plate should be flat for slalom, so I'll give that the first try for slalom next time I'm out.