Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY Bimini

Default DIY Bimini

Just got done making a cargo bimini for my saltare. It's made from 7/8 galvanized conduit, 4 ram mounts and sunbrella fabric that is wrapped around the frame with velcro attachment. It is 5 foot wide and 6 foot long.

Function before fashion!

It looks wide and profesional, nice upgrade
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

looks great. plenty of shade and it looks nice and high.

are those the same ram mounts from the homemade surf gate thread? would you take a pic of the topside? my bimini is a bit similar but has to be wrestled into place.

same ram mounts and they work great in this application. no problems doing 50mph on the way to the lake. i'll take off the fabric for the trip to powell.

Function before fashion!

Could you provide a link to these mounts?

Gps city has the best prices that i could find.
    http://www.gpscity.com/mounts
    Function before fashion!

That looks nice and clean. I've seen those "ram mounts" before, but can't figure out where. What are they normally used for?

I'm not going to lie, they look like they are just about to pop out. I could use those things for some other projects around the shop. So keep us posted on how they do in the heat and time.

Haugy, they can be seen at Cabella's, Bass Pro, etc. Used for GPS mounts, cell phones, water/pop etc. They make different holders that use the same ball mount. I have a mount on the handlebars of the atv, snowmobiles and just switch the gps between them.

Bimini looks nicely done.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    That looks nice and clean. I've seen those "ram mounts" before, but can't figure out where. What are they normally used for?

I'm not going to lie, they look like they are just about to pop out. I could use those things for some other projects around the shop. So keep us posted on how they do in the heat and time.
    So far so good. took the fabric off for the 8hr drive to lake powell and no movement. After a week on the lake and another 8hr drive home, still no movement. I'm very pleased with it
    Function before fashion!

So when you unscrew the bolts on "socket arms" it loosens both ends right? So if you unscrew them say while on the water, do you risk the arm popping off of both balls and falling into the water?

I'm curious because I've been considering building a bimini as well and I've been trying to come up with a good way to make it so that the rear two connection points can be "released" so that the bimini can swing down to access storage on top of it, much like a Z5. That all make sense?