Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Gate Build

Default Surf Gate Build

I've been loading my Ssv with a 750 in the rear surf side locker, GG center (1100) and another 750 on the floor on the surf side. We spent a hour moving water around anound the other day switching sides for those normal footed people. I've been followins the surfgate threads on the Malibu, Sn and Moomba sites and decided it was time!

I built one for a goofy footed set up and was amazed by its performance. It still needs some tweaking on the angle but I was able to surf the wake about double the length of pocket with no front weight and both 750s in there lockers, wakeplate up and 1mph less. The wake is not peaked and its a lot different since its so gradual and long but it was able to push me at 230. I had the angle at about 40 degrees from the transom and going to set up again at 30 trying to get the convergence a little closer to get some peak.

Anyway I was happy that it was going to work so I started today building the starboard side and took some pictures.

Basic design- 100% modular and manual with the anticipation of adding actuators down the road. The only connections is two threaded knobs on the fiberglass lip on the platform just lateral of the outer mounting brackets. Asthetics is important, the gates will fit in with the design and not extend beyond the height of the platform. All synthetic and noncorossive materials.

Update- I have since dropped the threaded knobs and added straps. I added pictures later in the thread
    Last edited by CornRickey; 09-21-2013 at 12:17 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I'll start posting them up tomorrow
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Material knotched out for the bracket and marked for the rabbit work.

2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Rabbited out till it was snug, also made room for the "bump out" around the mount.

2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Set up the rachet straps and wood contraption. The contraption is critical because when you bend the material around it bows out on the bottom decreasing its stability. Try to keep as much of the material in contact with the stern as possible. This stuff holds its heat. I let it cool for several hours with a fan and spraying it with windex to increase evaporative cooling.

2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

What is holding it in place? Please tell me it's not the swim platform.

Lateral pressure is up against the platform bracket mounted to the transom and from ta hinge assembly that goes from the gate back to the transom. The hole assembly is held in place by one threaded knob through the lower lip on the platform and into the mount that is between the platform and transom. So yes its held in place by the platform.

I ran into a issue today though. It was the first time having both installed and the surf side gate (retracted) was messing up the wake. I tried cutting the gate down with no success. If I remove it the wake is th best I've seen behind my boat. I'm going to do a little more r&d to try to get it to function without having to remove and install them when switching although it takes about 30 seconds a side but storing them woukd be a pain.

I was concerned about added pressures to the platform. Through my testing andseeing some of my very weak components first used not fail due to pressure I'm comcompletely comfortable with my set up and how it transfers the energy to the boat. I think there's no more that 100 to 150 lbs of force to th whole assembly. Additionally I have a FAE that ties in all three mounting brackets.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

And how about you not respond with the sarcasm? Its not constructive.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

What sarcasm? I was dead serious and curious about your mounting system. I had real fears that if not properly mounted you'd tear your swim platform off. That's why I asked.

I appreciate the concerns unfortunately it was lost in your wording. Now that we are past that what is your input on how I have mounted it and more importantly the effects of the wake when retracted. I can't find any differences in my design over the other gates out there other than the gate material is 1 inch thick.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001