Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Gate Build

The reason I asked is I can't really see how it's mounted. All I can see is what looks to be like it's sandwiched in between the platform and the boat. Which in my opinion would be very bad for the transom and the platform. If you've got the load distributed, then cool, but how? I can't really see from your pictures.

And now you mention it can be retracted. Now I'm really confused. So it can slide open and in? What keeps it from popping all the way out and down to the depths? Is it fixed to the platform bracket or platform mount somehow?

The only surf gate I'm actually familiar with is the malibu gate and it hinges on the transom via hydraulic actuator. So I can't relate your design to anything else.

Ill be posting more pictures that shows all of that. Its the same as the malibu stuff but without the actuator. It has a hinge assembly that when the gate is pulled out it locks it out at a set angle. It's actually a leaf support for a table that I altered. There are some lateral force to the platform when its deployed but not much compared to th force already applied to the platform from water when surfing. The net force is actually decreased in my opinion because th gate allows me to not have abiut 1500 extra pounds in the boat on one side causing the boa to list and causing the platform to further be under water.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Default Surf Gate Build

I kind of buy your theory about the load being decreased due to the fact that this should require less ballast which will in turn not force the platform into the water as much. I'll start by saying I too am interested in how this is mounted, functions and distributes the load from a technical/engineering standpoint. My only caution is that you mentioned placing a lateral load or stress on the platform which might be more than the platform mounts were designed to withstand on a continued basis. Just my thought as of this moment.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I hear you. I was going to hold off in posting more pictures till I get my issue figured out but I'll go ahead and post up more tonight. You will see that the gate is mounted on the leading edge with two hinges and propped out with a hinge assembly. On the newest version that I don't have a picture of, I welded in a turn buckle to adjust the angle. The turnbuckle body is aluminum. This takes the most pressure by far and holds up just fine. I'm not a engineer but I believe I have a understanding of basic physics and potential. I feel pretty comfortable with this on my very expensive boat.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Cut to angle

First hinge support block installed and beveled to a rough angle that will accomidate the gate when retracted.

Template for the top block. This one is a compound angle that goes around the swim step.

Block in place for the top hinge. This block is held on with only two screws so its a fail point.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Still needing some fine tuning but you can see I am holding the gate with my left hand. The hingeblock on top needs to be power planed down a bit.

With the hinges installed. I was getting tired so I didn't take any pictures of the individual hinges but they are inset into the gates for a more secure and compact fit.

This one shows the next angle I tried. Its about 22-30 degrees from the transom. It allowed for a lot better, peaked wake compared to my previous 40 degrees.

Side view with it retracted. The cut out for the rail has a piece that is mounted on a hinge from the backside that flips up and is held in place by a small piece of flat stock and a single screw.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Front view of it when retracted. Since taken I have placed a piece of automotive weather stripping along the edge that decreases the gap and fills it in completely when deployed.

Front view when deployed. Again the weather stripping fills in the gap completely. I have no vertical water spray from it when deployed. I do have a little when retracted and going about 30mph.

This is a picture of the first gate I built. I wanted to show the mechanism that I use to hold it open. I cut the long section in half and added a turnbuckle to it made from aluminum for another fail safe. This also increased the angle putting the pressure in the center of the plastic mount
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

a closer look at the lock mechanism.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I have reverted back to redesigning the actual gates. The retracted gate on the surf side was interfering with the wake and causing some wash out. This is also seen with most of the videos I have watched also. I believe it is a combination of the thickness of the material (specific to my design) and how far the gate is in the water when underway (common to all of the designs I've seen.

I have raised the whole gate about 1.5 inchs and have made the bottom 3 inchs retractable with spring hinges so it swings up to the bottom of the platform. I am also going to shape a edge on the bottom of it to slice through the water. Hopefully all three changes will eliminate the washing out. If not I will revert back to my existing design and plan on removing the surf side one when switching sides.

My hope is to finish the mock up tomorrow and get it on the water tomorrow night. Weather hasn't been very helpful lately.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Well hell, those pictures cleared up a lot. I thought your backing plate behind the platform was going to slide out to the side, and THAT was the gate.

Did you mention that you were putting hinges on and an actual other piece? I may have sped read over that.

I'm still very leary about it's strength. But hell, I've booty fabbed up stuff that shouldn't have made it off the trails, but they did and then some.