Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Gate Build

Love the design, I tried mine at powell but the swim deck i made is to long and squashing the wake to where it had no push. Then i tried slaming and listing the boat and still had the same. Luckily my buddies Moomba xlv puts out a sweet wave or i would have been bumming.
    Function before fashion!

Default Surf Gate Build

Yeah, I would have been bummed if I had to spend a week boating on Lake Powell too.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

well after two different versions I am reverting back to my original. I cant get the wake to clean up with the gate retracted on the surf side. I even made a gate thatfolds lenght wise ddecreasing its profile from the bottom with no luck. ive spent two days.on r&d trying to get a design that eliminates a minute of removing and installing the gates when switxhing sides. ill.take some more pictures and post them up.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

video of today. this is with the gate removed on the surf side.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Yeah, I would have been bummed if I had to spend a week boating on Lake Powell too.
    Just sayin i really wanted to surf some canyons
    Function before fashion!

so what actually holds your backing plate? also have you had any problems with the regular side wake? I could get a beautiful wave on the goofy side and nothing but wash on the regular side. This may actually be from my swim deck squashing the wake though.
    Function before fashion!

The mounting plate fits snug between the swim platform and transom. It was heat molded to it so it fits snug. The force is transferred from the gate in the front, through the front hinges to the mount plate laterally to the side of the outer platform mount side. The rest of the force on the gate is transferred through the adjustable support to the mounting plate lower on the transom. I'm sure there is some rotational force put on the platform but I don't think its enough to cause a problem. Try removing the gate on the surf side. I could get a better wake on the goofy side when both gates were installed but it wasn't clean in my opinion. I'm about to post up a new video showing the whole set up.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

very nice! You've given me some ideas. mine was moveable from side to side, but stowing it sucked. I think i like yours better.
    Function before fashion!

My plan was. to make them retractable (which they still are) and install them on the ramp and leave them on all day but I couldn't get the wake to clean up from the gate dragging in the water. It didn't matter how small I made it, it still screwed up the wake. my platform is a inch or so under water when surfing even when weighted evenly
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001