Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Surf Gate Build

Yea, I hacked up one of my first versons. First started tapering from the bottom. After removing about two inch of material and it not making a difference I started shortening it. Both with no impact. My second version I hinged the bottom 3 inchs so it would fold up flat under the platform and stay in place with spring loaded hinges. Slight change but not to my satisfaction. I kicked around raising the platform but that would mean starting over again with new mounting plates and everything and making it weaker. I think I could raise the gates about 2 inchs before the height wouldn't make a difference. I have a lot of water flowing over the top of them now. This would probably fix the problem. My family all ride goofy. I would need the other side unless going out with friends. So removing and installing wouldn't be a big deal.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

That's very impressive. Regardless of the impact to the wake, the engineering is impressive and I really like that the impact to the boat is minimal - meaning that you can remove it quickly without having to put any additional brackets or holes in your boat.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

That's a great upgrade !
    And nice DIY stuff
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Thanks for the kind words.Now if it would stop raining I could put some more hours on them.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I made a "surf gate" that c-clamped to the swim platform for my 98 Comp while I was camping in Shasta last week.

It worked, but took ALL the push out of the wave. The pocket was much longer though, but it didn't matter, It was unridable. I was running a 250 bag in the nose, a 350 in the rear locker, and a 600lb bag on one side of the motor, and I had people sit in the other side of the boat. A slight lean to the boat while underway and sitting.

I took it off and had people sit on the side with the 600lb bag. Viola. All the push was there and the wave was STEEP.

It was also a major PITA to drive with it on. I've been driving boats for years, and it was even a challenge for me. The boat barely steered in gear, you had to use more throttle to get it to turn. As soon as you pop it out of gear, the boat would turn.

I took it off and I am leaving it off. It would work, if I had another 1000-2000 lbs of weight in the boat. I am already pushing it with my comp...

I'm happy with my wave. I just have an extra bag so when I want to switch sides, I pump one into the other. Quick enough for me...

FWIW, here's the wave without the surf gate.

1044488_618100921540913_1014801970_n.jpg

Hey CornRickey, did you get any vid of your new setup? I'm dyin to see it in action!
    I also had Jetlink move my build back to my thread, i felt bad for hijacking your build thread.
    Function before fashion!

I took some video today when I got my dad up. I'm going to take a look at it and see about posting some up. This was the first time using the new set up and I am very impressed with it. It takes seconds to take off and reinstall. The only negative issue is that I have one sitting in the boat somewhere and they are not compact. The adjustability is the key to the set up. I was able to adjust them on the fly between sets with the turn of the turn buckle. No spay at all. From the videos I've seen on the factory system it has less than theirs. I had all of the plastic already. A buddy of mine who has a 03 Santera wasn't me to build him a set. I have spec'ed out material costs and its right at 250 for both. I got to drive the boat a lot today with them on and I did notice stearing was off a little. Going straight it tracked fine and was not noticeable. Trying to turn at a idle against the gate made for really wide turns. All and all it is a great success. All of these issues doesn't compare to having the boat listed to one side in rough water. I can't believe these haven't taken off more in the DIY community.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

My dad explaining what he is about to do
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

My dad wakesurfing for the first time.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

That's fricking awesome, love it
    Nice wave.
    Function before fashion!