Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Surf Gate Build

Talk about thread hijack
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Talk about thread hijack
    hahaah, pretty much! I would look at it as a compliment! As you are the one that pretty much opened the "flood gates" on the surf gate, at least for me, I am just paying homage to you!

Default Surf Gate Build

Sorry CornRickey. I was too lazy to start my own. You da man.

Surfin USA

I'll be hitting this project head on over the next few weeks. From initial measurements / drawings I can accomplish this on my 86 Sunsport with drilling only a few holes in the boat. I'll be utilizing the outside mounting bolts for the swim platform as the hinge mount and installing Bennett or Lenco actuators to move the gates. Thankfully I have enough leftover teak to make this happen.
    End result should be clean lines to the platform, no impact to conventional running (gates in). Now to finally fixed-plumb ballast.
    image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ckracing View Post
    I'll be hitting this project head on over the next few weeks. From initial measurements / drawings I can accomplish this on my 86 Sunsport with drilling only a few holes in the boat. I'll be utilizing the outside mounting bolts for the swim platform as the hinge mount and installing Bennett or Lenco actuators to move the gates. Thankfully I have enough leftover teak to make this happen.
    End result should be clean lines to the platform, no impact to conventional running (gates in). Now to finally fixed-plumb ballast.
    image.jpg
    One thing to think about. I have a friend that has done a full powered surfgate install with the lenco actuators and all. He still runs into problems with the retracted gates interfering with his wakeboard wake.

i may be biased but I think the NSS style surf blades like I did would be a better choice and just as easily powered...

Something to think about. Obviously I have first hand experience with powered gates and my manual blades.

Most people with "ghetto gates" aren't testing the effects of the *retracted* gate on things.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Unless you have the ability to index the gate out to the relative same place every time then slight adjustments as needed for weight changes this would be a real pain in the rear. Without this ability you are setting up the wake every time you deploy the gates.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Unless you have the ability to index the gate out to the relative same place every time then slight adjustments as needed for weight changes this would be a real pain in the rear. Without this ability you are setting up the wake every time you deploy the gates.
    Malibu's gates are all or nothing. My friend that copied Malibu did the same with his actuators.

So that is likely what copying Malibu would yield.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

They probably did a ton of r&d and decided on a average angle. I tweak mine about everytimeI go for the day.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I finally got to test my rough draft of a gate yesterday and love the results. Here is a before shot, with 650lbs up front and 1350 on the surf side:
    Before.jpg

And after, with 650 up front, 800 on the surf side and 500 on the non-surf side:
    After.jpg

I rode it first and it took some getting used to after surfing for two years without it. There was definitely enough push to ride comfortably, and the pocket was noticeably longer and much cleaner. I used to have to ride close to the platform and can now ride twice as far off or so out without losing it. It's nice to be able to drop back now and pump in to try tricks, whereas before I didn't have any area to do so.

Driving impressions: it was nice not to be driving a listed boat, but the gate actually takes some getting used to. Since we surf regular, the gate is on the starboard side and thus the boat wants to turn toward starboard. Once you get up to speed it is ok, but when you go to neutral it's impossible to turn left. You also have to hold pretty strong to keep the boat straight for the same reasons. I got used to it after driving for a few hours yesterday but initially it was weird.

Some improvements will be made and more testing done, especially with weight and deployment angle, but overall I'm very happy with it.
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

Default Surf Gate Build

Do you have pics of your actual gate installation?

Surfin USA