Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neat Story...

Smile Neat Story...

Hey all figured i would share this:

I found a dog on the internet at a local humane society. Turns out the dog was located in Texas at a high kill shelter, on the list to be euthenized; told the story to my fiance and it was all over from there. She is named Madilyn and is also blind in one eye. We summitted an adoption application that night and waited to see what would happen...The application was a lot like donating an organ! Lengthy!! and being that we are located 1000 miles apart not sure how this would all unfold. After they called all our 3 refferences and then arranged a home visit, we found out the dog would be in Minnesota on fathers day. Then got word that a lady from a local blind dog rescue would being her into Wisconsin about an hour and a half from my front door (Eau Claire). Got in the truck on monday after work and picked her up. She is a lab/golden/terrior mix and is about 40 pounds. She is a sweet girl that has NO training and is going to need lots of love and patience.

It was a great exerience and even though she has torn curtains and ate my best shoes, she is hard to get mad at. She has been through a lot in her one year and cant wait to see what is around the corner.

If anyone has any training tips we are open to all advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM

That's awesome man. Congrats on saving a dogs life from a kill shelter. My wife and I foster dogs for the Texas GSP Rescue until they can find a permanent home, so I feel your pain on getting dogs that have little to no training in the house. We have 2 GSP's so it makes it a little easier since the new dog has 2 instant buddies to play with. Just be patient and use treats as rewards for good behavior and she will eventually come around. It's hard to not get attached to them, especially with some of the stories from where they rescue these dogs from, but since we get to meet the new owners and do the home visit it makes it easier knowing that they are going to a loving home. The worst one we ever had was rescued from a South Dakota puppy mill and had never been out of a cage in 2.5 years. She had a hard time walking and had obviously been beaten, she was extremely scared of people. She ate the leather off of my new $3,500 recliner and although I was mad, I really wasn't in the end after thinking what all she had been through. Good luck and post pics up if she ends up going to the lake with you!!
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Love hearing about that story! Very nice looking dog. Some patience and time and she will be a great dog! I'm sure I'll get to meet her out on the water!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

I have a similar story my sister in law found a beagle behind her house . The shelter in her county is a kill shelter so she asked my wife would take her to the no kill shelter in my county. She got as far as bringing the dog in and signing the papers but the guilty feelings started on the way back home . 22 hours we are on the way back to get the dog back . They also put us through the ringer and charged 100.00 for the adoption fee. Its all good my lab has a new sister to play with and she has been a pretty good dog so far.

Default Neat Story...

Michael, is this a more recent addition then?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Very cool story.

Quote Originally Posted by comp92 View Post
    If anyone has any training tips we are open to all advice!
    cute pup, good for you guys!

crates are great things if she'll take to it. don't force her and as someone already mentioned, treats can be very motivating. obedience classes can also be good if you're new to dog training. rewards and repetition...then repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Michael, is this a more recent addition then?
    I still have one more recent addition . I had the post ready to go then trouble with Photo bucket and computer locked up . I will post again this week.

Exercise, exercise, exercise. Sounds like a young and active pup. Best way to help begin training and keeping her from tearing up more stuff is to run it out of her.

That's awesome that you found a great dog. One of my dogs was a puppy we found at the plant on top of his dead brothers and sisters that had frozen to death. They were from a band of strays. He's been with us since he was a wee pup, and has been a great dog. He helped keep our GSD young, and is a serial killer of critters. Great guard dog but the sweetest animal to my 2yr old boy. Even after two copperhead bites the bugger keeps on plugging.

Mutts are some of the best dogs around. Again, beer to you for doing that.

Thanks Haugy.
    She has had some accidents in the house and did get a pair of my shoes and the curtains (i'll post some pics), but she is taking on well to her crate and her new surroundings. house, yard, and other people/dogs. Time, Patience, Repetition...i had teammates that could barley tell time, can't expect a rescued, one eyed, young dog to sit ,stay, come, fetch, roll over all in 3 days! haha

shes a life changer and for the better...
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM