Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Hi guys,
    6793 dies yesterday night. Carbon brushes are very poor quality and broke in thousand pièces :

pic of brushes.jpg

Black stuff on the floor is actually positive side brushes !

Just placed an order for a new starter as I can't stay without boating.

But I also want to fix this starter, to have a spare.
    I saw those two references, but measurement given don't help me :

ACDelco-E720A

ACDelco-E744A

Can someone tell me if on of them fit in a 6793 starter ? or any other brush set reference ?
    Thanks
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Sdc77, sorry I am going to be no help. Just chiming in because I believe my starter took a dump today. Oddly enough if I tap on the solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver it will turn over for a second but then spin and then I get nothing, just one click every time I turn the key and that's it. I am not sure which one to buy now based on the comments here, thinking I might pop for the PCM one from skidim assuming it will last longer than the other recommendations.
    1988 Supra Saltare - 454

Hi dbruesehoff,
    I finally found why the 6793 dies : The axle bearing exploded in hundred pièces. So, big resistance of the axle, and big overheat on the carbons. They finally broke because of that. I received a new 6793 as I could'nt find the bearing quickly, but ordered the bearing anyway, and a complete brushing plate. Now I fixed the first 6793 with german bearing and ACDelco brushings. It's now more solid than factory, and works like a truck. I have a new 6793 spare in case of troubles.
    For the price and shipping price, you should go for a 6793. It's easy to fix if broken and cheap IMO. It starts the engine so much quicker than a direct drive starter and uses less ampères.

starter3.jpg

starter2.jpg
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

If you've had it apart, did your 6793 have a nylon or brass ring gear in the gearbox?
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Hi Korey,
    The only nylon part inside is the arm that pushes the axle. Reduction gears are iron.
    The brushes kit I ordered is this one : http://www.condensateur-web.fr/couro...A2452-298.html
    It needed a few adaptation : drill 2 new holes in the starter rear cover and cut 1 little centering finger on the brusking frame
    Then I ordered a HK2216 bearing from SKF brand.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare