Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default PCM 454 starter - Saltare

I want to get a new starter for the PCM 454 LH standxard rotation in my '89 Saltare. It is a top mount rear entry starter mounted on the bellhousing and offset to startboard side. Current starter works but occasionally I get a small puff of smoke out of it (internally). Cleaned terminals and no difference. Cranks fast but I don't want it to die on me. Looking at DB electric and going to order a higher output alternator too since they have great prices and several here have used them.

Looking at past threads I see two different starters that different people claim are correct for the boat, but not specified where the starter location is. One is SDR0065 which seems to be for reverse rotation engines as it cross references to PCM# RA122008 and then to this Sierra starter (http://www.marinepartssource.com/new...ured%20Starter) which states:
    Top mount rear entry starter
    Opposite rotation starter
    GM and Ford engines clockwise

The other one mentioned here is #SDR0105 which cross references to PCM# RA122008 and then to this Sierra starter (http://www.marinepartssource.com/new...ured%20Starter) which states:
    Top mount rear entry starter
    For Gm and Ford standard rotation engines

Not sure how the SDR0065 would work in a standard rotation engine unless it was mounted in a normal front entry application as it would turn a standard rotation engine backwards in a rear entry? So the SDR0105 should be the correct starter as I have a standard LH rotation engine with a top mount rear entry starter? Please help clarify before I order.

My head just exploded. I've read this 4 times, and boom.

If you know your rotation, and placement it should be clear to pick which one. The problem with some of these parts listings with starters is they guy who typed it in has no idea about this stuff, and you get confusing details.

You asked how the 065 would work in a standard rotation engine........it won't. It says opposite rotation, clockwise. That to me means right hand rotation. This one would fit my boat.

The 0105 is a standard rotation, (which honestly I'm not sure who is really standard, LH or RH), but it doesn't say clockwise, so I would assume counter-clockwise, so LH rotation.

I think you're right about needing the 105 starter for yours.

I'm really confused by this. One is CW rotation (opposite) and one is CCW (standard.) The starter itself doesn't care where it's mounted (or where Mecca is.) You need the 0105. Quit asking questions and just order it!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default PCM 454 starter - Saltare

Just make sure to reference true north when installing the starter so it will initialize the start sequence properly...lol
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Is that Greenich mean time? Or by the Navy master clock?

Actually it does matter which direction the starter is installed. If the nose is pointing forward it spins the engine one direction and if the nose is installed towards the back it will spin the engine the other direction. It sounds like 0105 is the correct starter though, so I'll order that one.

it goes both ways? wow, does that cost extra?

Just ordered one from Amazon this morning after confirming with DB . $83 and No Shipping

"Yes SDR0105 is CCW which is counter clockwise or reverse rotation."

Thanks, DB

DB ELECTRICAL
    664 EASTERN STAR ROAD
    KINGSPORT TN 37663
    800-753-2242

I have the same boat, engine rotation, and starter location. I just ordered the SDR0105 from DB Electrical and it fit perfectly. Works great,and DB Electrical was great. Lightning fast shipping and great communication.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I got the starter a few days ago and finally got the time to install today. Looked close to identical. Turns the correct direction for a standard LH rotation engine, cranked it over fine. I do notice that this starter turns the engine slower than the one that was on there, but it starts fine and no smoke like the old one so I'm satisfied so long as it lasts. One thing I did notice is there is a small hole in the case towards the nose of the starter. The old starter was cast with a small raised bump here and no hole. Makes me wonder, but the sticker on it does say ignition protected, I suppose that doesn't mean entirely sealed though. Whatever, it starts the boat and says ignition protected so I assume all is well.