Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I just wanted to update this thread with my experience with SD0105. I've been running this starter for as along as I can remember (and obviously recommended it in here.) Unfortunately, my luck with this starter was spotty at best. I don't think I have had one make it through 2 seasons. They seem to get REALLY corroded on the inside. Recently I was stuck when the starter would no longer turn over and I had to paddle/swim the boat in. This was a starter that I installed of July 2013 so I only had it for 14-15 months.

This was the DB Electrical version but I suspect most of them come out of the same chinese/mexico factories.

Anyway -- I took the starter apart and was apalled at the poor construction. The armature had some really bad deformities on it (that must have been that way from the factory.) These defects had caused all but 1 brush to be broken, and the brush springs to also have broken off and been chewed up in the field windings.

I decided enough was enough -- I'm done with SD0105!

In all of my other vehicles, I always upgrade the starters to PMGR type starters when I replace them. For some reason, I had not been able to find a PMGR starter suitable for the 454 marine engine. It requires a starter that spins CCW and all of the PMGR CCW starters I could find had a completely different "offset" style of mounting ears.

Finally I've found a solution, though...... and I can't believe how fast and smooth my boat now starts! The LESTER 6793 is a PMGR starter in CCW orientation. It has the same number of teeth and the same mounting ears. For whatever reason, none of the parts lookups specify that this works with the 7.4/454 engine, but I ordered it anyway and can confirm that it works perfectly. Here's the one that I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094JJK7W/...332200_TE_item and here's the same item at DB Electrical (for those that prefer them): http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2299-n...-140-6075.aspx

It's a much smaller, more powerful and more energy efficient starter than the stock one. Swap over to it the next time your starter craps out.

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default Re: PCM 454 starter - Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I just wanted to update this thread with my experience with SD0105. I've been running this starter for as along as I can remember (and obviously recommended it in here.) Unfortunately, my luck with this starter was spotty at best. I don't think I have had one make it through 2 seasons. They seem to get REALLY corroded on the inside. Recently I was stuck when the starter would no longer turn over and I had to paddle/swim the boat in. This was a starter that I installed of July 2013 so I only had it for 14-15 months.

This was the DB Electrical version but I suspect most of them come out of the same chinese/mexico factories.

Anyway -- I took the starter apart and was apalled at the poor construction. The armature had some really bad deformities on it (that must have been that way from the factory.) These defects had caused all but 1 brush to be broken, and the brush springs to also have broken off and been chewed up in the field windings.

I decided enough was enough -- I'm done with SD0105!

In all of my other vehicles, I always upgrade the starters to PMGR type starters when I replace them. For some reason, I had not been able to find a PMGR starter suitable for the 454 marine engine. It requires a starter that spins CCW and all of the PMGR CCW starters I could find had a completely different "offset" style of mounting ears.

Finally I've found a solution, though...... and I can't believe how fast and smooth my boat now starts! The LESTER 6793 is a PMGR starter in CCW orientation. It has the same number of teeth and the same mounting ears. For whatever reason, none of the parts lookups specify that this works with the 7.4/454 engine, but I ordered it anyway and can confirm that it works perfectly. Here's the one that I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094JJK7W/...332200_TE_item and here's the same item at DB Electrical (for those that prefer them): http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-2299-n...-140-6075.aspx

It's a much smaller, more powerful and more energy efficient starter than the stock one. Swap over to it the next time your starter craps out.

What are the two purple wires for? I'm guessing this is "plug n play"?

The two purple wires are actually just one purple wire (they both connect to the same places. Not sure why its setup that way). They come from the ignition switch to the starter. Same as sd0105 so yes, it is plug and play.

That's great to know. Thanks for the report - I'm sure I'll be replacing the new starter I installed this year soon.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Default PCM 454 starter - Saltare

Great write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

Was out this weekend and the girlfriend (who doesn't know a starter from a spark-plug) asked what had been changed to make the boat start so easily. She was amazed at how quickly and quietly the boat started.

In the past, I'd always have to crank it for 3-5 seconds before it would fire. I assumed this was because my carb has never been refreshed (and I've had it for 10+ years.) With the new starter it feels like a new engine. I know this is impossible but the girlfriend was absolutely convinced that the engine is running quieter and smoother -- and I couldn't outright disagree with her.

I should get paid for selling these starters..... I'd make sure everyone with a 454 tossed the stock one and went to this one tomorrow.

Hi guys,
    Just ordered the 6793 PMGR, 7 to 15 days of shipping.
    My factory starter died this winter, too rusty inside. I could save it last year with a refresh, but this time it's over. Everything is welded together.

I bought it from a dealer on eBay US (no way to find it in Europe), as it's faster and cheaper than by Amazon and/or DB Electrical. $84 plus only $40 shipping and taxes.

Will let you know how fast it start with it
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Just receive my PMGR, agreed with Wotan : Wow, how fast it starts ! Definitly a very good improvement, thanks for the tip
    Mine is from DBelectrical, as the eBay dealer never ship the starter, eBay refund me. DBelectrical ship it in ... 3 open days

Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

FML.

6793 worked great.... until it didn't. Bendix went out yesterday on the water. Is it possible that I have the worst luck EVER when it comes to starters?

BOTH the truck and boat starters went out yesterday. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    FML.

6793 worked great.... until it didn't. Bendix went out yesterday on the water. Is it possible that I have the worst luck EVER when it comes to starters?

BOTH the truck and boat starters went out yesterday. Sigh.
    I think that is just dumb luck...... ^

Either way, I replaced my starter with the aforementioned unit, and it now works awesome first bump start is nice! Thanks for that, btw- same boat as yours 87 Saltare!
    Out with the old: starter1.jpg
    In with the new:starter2.jpg