Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    FML.

6793 worked great.... until it didn't. Bendix went out yesterday on the water. Is it possible that I have the worst luck EVER when it comes to starters?

BOTH the truck and boat starters went out yesterday. Sigh.
    Ordered a 6793 over the winter (actually it showed up as a Christmas gift!) and installed it before the first trip of the season. It failed on my 4th day out - today - as I had my dad out for a little Father's day ride :-/ same failure as wotan, bendix. Not sure what to order now, I really liked how that started the boat.
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Ordered a 6793 over the winter (actually it showed up as a Christmas gift!) and installed it before the first trip of the season. It failed on my 4th day out - today - as I had my dad out for a little Father's day ride :-/ same failure as wotan, bendix. Not sure what to order now, I really liked how that started the boat.
    FWIW, I eventually gave up on the 6793 and went back to the traditional "big" starter.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I'm still running the PMGR starter and it's lasted several seasons. I guess I'd better go knock on some wood somewhere.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I might just help solidify the definition on insanity and order the same thing again... I need to decide about right now to get something back in time for leaving Friday morning for an island camping trip...

The one Discount Inboard Marine sells looks the same, is permanent magnet, but is twice the price (actually $209). They've never sold me ANYTHING that broke though... It says is is CGA as well, something I can't find in the listing for the one that I bought this winter.

For reference, this is the item I bought before:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094JJK7W..._HC1zxb3M37608

This is the SKIDIM variant:
    http://www.skidim.com/STARTER-GM-LH-...info/RA122009/
    Korey Morris -

Publishing a little new knowledge that I have gained this afternoon:

SKIDIM's variant is genuine PCM Part No RA122009 which actually makes $209 a good deal (like $280 elsewhere)
    http://www.skidim.com/STARTER-GM-LH-...info/RA122009/

Sierra marine lists 18-5603 as the replacement for that PCM number generally available for $180-200 online:
    https://www.amazon.com/Sierra-18-560.../dp/B000N9VEI0

Several "no name" interchanges for the same starter available under $100 by using part number 6793N. Coast Guard approval unknown.

I've gone with genuine PCM part. Documented warranty, and and I stretch my weekends too far into Sunday night to not throw the top shelf solution at this... There are lots of problems that a guy can overcome on the water - a busted starter is not typically one of them!
    Korey Morris -

Hi guys. I didn't post on it this year as I fixed it as quick as 15min work ...
    My 6793 didn't start the engine this season. After checking batteries, I finally decide to open the starter. I think those things have too much grease inside when new. Carbons where stuck in initial position as grease solidify at the lower position of the starter.
    So I simply cleaned the wole thing, so no more solid grease, and it started right after. Only took 15 minutes as said before.
    So don't trash it, open, clean and let's go again
    Last edited by Sdc77; 06-20-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I came home tonight and took the failed 6793N apart, and it was NOT the solenoid as expected. The gear reduction in achieved with a planetary gearset, and the outer ring gear is NYLON and all shredded! So although the starter sounded like it was free spinning like the pinion never engaged the flywheel, it was actually only turning the sun and planetary gears, and never turning the ring which was stripped. I'm surprised these were nylon!
    Last edited by korey; 06-21-2016 at 05:44 PM.
    Korey Morris -

This is what my local starter shop told me when I took a failed one to him. He couldn't source another of those nylon gears and said it was a mystery to him where the rebuilder was getting them from. I questioned why it was nylon and he said it was to protect the ring gear -- if it was metal and there was some kind of backfire, it would wipe the teeth of the gear. That was also his theory on why my nylon ones were being cooked, btw -- he thought my timing was out of adjustment and there was something during the starting process that caused the engine to spin backwards for a second. I checked and double-checked my timing and couldn't find an issue.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

A little googling around landed me on this site that shows a parts list:

http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/new12vstform4.html

The stationary gear is 5840-4504 (Delco number) but if you google that it looks like it is steel. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to put steel in there. I'd much rather replace starters than flywheels! If it looks safe, I'll take the OEM PCM starter apart when I get it Thursday and see what's in there...
    Korey Morris -

Forgot to post this pic : begining of the season fixing the 6793 starter

starter.jpg
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare