Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 454 swap options ?

Hello guys,
    Is there a compatibility (direct fit) between Mopar engines and GM transmissions ?
    Let me explain my idea :
    The 454 is fun, but it likes fuel too much to be used in France like we do (about 100 hours per year).
    I would like to swap it. But V8 are rare here. Especially 350 GM. They generally are still in their car, with low mileage.

Bur here in Europe, 1 car has been sold in mass, with tones of parts, and cheap V8's
    It's the ZJ/ZG Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 5.2L ( 1993-1998 ). We can find it for 500$ or even for free when transmission is dead, mostly it's solenoids, but Chrysler France prefer asking 6000$ for changing the transmission instead of opening it ... I had 2 Grand and 1 get a solenoid dead, the do ask me this amount of money and I got it live again for 150$ ...

So, my idea is to find a Grand for free or few bucks, with a running V8, and start to work on it for a marinizing thing.

But, can I swap the 454 for a 318 mopar without modification on the transmission or engine mounts ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

short answer is no. completely different animal. the only thing they share is the fact that they are a 4 stroke engine.

Thank you villain, I will then look for a LT1 ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Just out of curiosity, how much is Gas per Liter in France?
    86 Saltare

it's 1.50€ per liter for "95 unleaded gazoline"
    Means a 30min ride cession is about (with the 454 - 25~ Liters per hour consumption) 19€, about $25 USD
    Interresting isn't it
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Means it is over 300 usd to fill the tank!! Can't blame you for wanting to change!!
    86 Saltare

You're right for the tank

Most of cars here are 1.2L to 2.0L engine powered (75% are diesel).
    When I say I have a 7.4L gas in the boat, people make fun of me. They can't imagine it exists, and then they can't imagine how much fuel it drinks.

"bigger is better" is definatly not what we use to think here. Maybe something like "smallest and diesel is the way to go".
    But ridding behind the boat with a smoky diesel is not what I expect.

That's why I'm looking to swap the 454 ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Hmmm start to think about a Rover V8 3.9L ; 4.0L or 4.6L.
    Those engines are an aluminium 3.5L Buick V8 based, we find it everywhere here in Europe.
    It will fit directly on the transmission.
    It's not very powerful (225 HP for a 4.6 ; 200HP for a 4.0), but, with a good pitched propeller, I think it can move the Saltare with half fuel consumption.
    It will also need heavy loads to match the 454 weight and keep the Wake size as it's right now.

Any advises ? Pros/cons ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Default 454 swap options ?

Going to a smaller and less powerful engine though in theory should reduce your fuel consumption might actually increase your fuel consumption. Follow me here, the 454 might not need to run WOT when you're riding however, a smaller engine making less power might need to keep the throttle buried more to achieve the same amount of work, thereby increasing your overall gas usage in the long run. I feel your pain man but I'd do some more research on the matter before you go pulling the trigger on anything.

As a reference point, my comp and my buddies sunsport have the exact same engine, transmission and prop. My boat weighs less than his and I use less gas doing the same stuff than he does in his boat.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Yes I thought about it.
    But we have to consider every parameters :
    The Saltare is a light boat, even for a 23'
    The 454 has a low compression ratio, carburetor, classical ignition
    We mostly do wakeboarding on it
    I live in France, gas is 1.50€/L

Now I would like to burn less fuel.

A friend who's got a 20' 2006 Malibu wakesetter with a 325hp 350ci EFI engine. His boat is about 1900kg and burns 15L/hour

The saltare is probably the same weight but burns 25 to 30L/h

Swaping for a smaller engine with EFI can save me 5L/h even more. It's probably nothing in US with cost of gas, but here, I will save alot of money.

So what to do ? Trying to modernize the 454 with TBI + HV Electronic ignition ?
    If I go for a car MPI smaller engine, I will need to buy marine exhausts, a new propeller ...

Not sure 1 solution is better or cheaper than the other.

I probably should start to upgrade my setup with a Edelbrock carb + a new HV Electronic ignition + a fine tune. Maybe with a air/fuel ratio gauge + O2 sensor ?
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare