Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

In looking at the pics behind the fiberglass wall, there seems to be a piece of plywood between the cable mechanism and the fiberglass. Mine didn't have that. I know it's not much, but see if you can figure out the role of that plywood and how to get the mechanism detached from that.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Default What boat did this come from?

The mechanism isn't attached to the plywood at all. The plywood is attached to the back of the fiberglass. If I could get the plywood out of there I might be able to snake this control out finally. But I'm betting that wood is glued to the fiberglass and not going to part easily.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Mine does have the control bracket the same way. In order to get mine out, I need to (while in neutral) push the lever to about 45degrees. Then I need to pull out on the back side of the control and slide it back. Once it gets into this position I think I need to pry the bottom end of it out first and then can wiggle the top control arm free.

The hole that mine is mounted in is a pretty awkward shape. I can't promise it wasn't broken at some point -- except that they didn't build your boat around the controls. They installed the controls at some point.

The trickiest part of the entire operation is to get backing nuts on the mounting bolts when it goes back in. You really need to use your bendy arms and lots of patience.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

On the CorrectCraftFan forum in the reference section there is a copy of the owners/installation manual maybe that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by mabbore View Post
    I had to service mine last summer by cleaning it and greasing it up. Mine has a set screw on the handle that allows you to remove the handle. Then the black face plate comes off, from there you can remove the mechanism.
    I can see the set screw on the first pic. Removing it is the first step into this riddle. Remember things are always built in this era to come apart without much prying or effort.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    I can see the set screw on the first pic. Removing it is the first step into this riddle. Remember things are always built in this era to come apart without much prying or effort.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372129945.835166.jpg
    Removed set screw, got me to this point.

Michael, I'll check it out and thanks for digging.

Daff, I totally understand what you're saying but I have a sneaky suspicion that this isn't the original morse control to this boat. And looking at the opening that I have to try and get this out of leads me to believe that they had to pry it in there which is easier than having to pry it out.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 06-24-2013 at 11:41 PM.

I wonder if you were to remove the linkage from the opposite end (engine area) if this would create more space. You could pull the entire shifter out including the cables. I bet there is some bolts on the back side of the backing plate which hold on the black beauty cover which is acessable with a little more wiggle room..

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

I had both the transmission linkage and the throttle linkage removed as well as plenty of slack in the routing of the control cables. I'm truly and utterly stumped on this one because as I see it, I have everything loose and undone and it is still stubborn and not wanting to budge.

I don't know if it'll help you at all, but here's a pic of the back of my shifter after I pulled it out. I wonder if someone 5200'd yours in place?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I'm telling ya, WD-40, spray silicone, something to see if it helps loosen it enough to slide out. That thing is apparently stock since others here have one. So it's been over 20 years since it's been installed, it's not going to want to let go easily.