Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Older Supra boat owners....

...I'm curious, why is there so much 'loyalty' to these older Supra boats? I've only had mine ('86 TS6M) since late last summer (used it twice last season), struggled through a bunch of mechanical issues after taking it out of storage, and got two half-decent days on the lake. I use it for wakeboarding and wake surfing. So far, it doesn't seem to be anything special. It's low and needs a ton of ballast to provide a half decent wake (yeah, I know it was never designed for producing a big wake). About the only positive I've found is that it stays 'flat' over some of the heavier chop/waves (not the biggest....stuff like maybe a foot or so) than my other deep-V hull boat does (surprisingly). Maybe this thing is amazing when pulling a skier (which I imagine it was designed for). So, I'm probably missing exactly why these boats are so well liked.

Again, I'm just curious. I'm not going to bash the boat, because I'm using it for things it likely wasn't designed for. I'm just wondering where the boat 'shines'. I'm going to look for a boat that has more room, is an inboard, and produces a better wake. Not sure what I'll be buying, but I'm pretty sure I'll be selling this boat.

The TS6M was designed and built for 1 purpose -- Slalom skiing. Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

The TS6M is a great handling boat and was the first of a new generation of purpose built slalom boats.

If it's not something that you like, feel free to sell it.

Now if you're asking why some of us others like their older Supras, I bet you'll get a lot of different answers. Why do I love mine? I built it myself and customized/set it up for exactly what I use it for and what I need. It's got a great surf wake, a decent wakeboard wake, lots of room, lots of power, is easy to work on, looks great and serves all my purposes from party-coving to relaxing and drinking a gin and tonic while the sun sets to making a mean wakesurf wake.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    The TS6M was designed and built for 1 purpose -- Slalom skiing. Your post is basically saying, "Why do people like Corvettes so much? I bought one to haul firewood and it sucks at it! Plus it doesn't fit my in-laws and it's hard to get in and out of because it's so low!"

Ridiculous.

The TS6M is a great handling boat and was the first of a new generation of purpose built slalom boats.

If it's not something that you like, feel free to sell it.

Now if you're asking why some of us others like their older Supras, I bet you'll get a lot of different answers. Why do I love mine? I built it myself and customized/set it up for exactly what I use it for and what I need. It's got a great surf wake, a decent wakeboard wake, lots of room, lots of power, is easy to work on, looks great and serves all my purposes from party-coving to relaxing and drinking a gin and tonic while the sun sets to making a mean wakesurf wake.
    Ditto, I might also add that brand loyalty is something you find across the board when it comes to motorsports. Some guys only like chevy's, I personally like skidoo's for snowmobiling. But the main thing is no matter what brand you have you are having fun. I don't care if its on a supra, Mastercraft or malibu. Just have fun with it.
    Function before fashion!

I'd like to ask you guys to read my post carefully. I say EXACTLY that the boat was built for something different, and all I'm asking is if the boat shines in the areas OTHER than what I'm using it for, because I KNOW I'm using it for something it wasn't designed for.

Jeez. Read carefully, please, before you start throwing stones. Don't get your panties in a bunch.

You bought the wrong one, Supra made huge open bow DD boats back then. They have a lot of free board, can take a bunch of people and weight, and make a great crossover boat.

The one you bought does none of the above and has half the free board.

However if you love slalom skiing it is top notch!

Hopefully you do more homework on your next purchase so you won't be in the same situation asking dumb questions on the manufactures website about why you bought something that doesn't suit your needs. Good luck

Don't get so bent out of shape, I read your post thoroughly and carefully a few times now and here is my response as a fellow classic Comp owner. It's purpose built for skiing sports whether its just learning to water ski, trick ski, slalom ski, ski jump or the crazy barefoot adventure. None of those sports really require a wake in fact most shy away from it and that is why the hull was designed that way. Wake boarding and wake surfing hadn't even been thought of back when this boat was designed. The Comp shines when the water is flat and your hauling butt on a ski of some sort or popping every blood vessel in your foot as you go bare footing across the lake. It also shines on being one of the more sexy looking ski boats in the water.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

comps are the race cars of the ski boat world....very fast and maneuverable. the comp was ski boat of the year for several years in the mid to late 80s.

supra's in the 80s were ahead of their time, except for the stringers & floors which weren't made to last forever. the hulls and options available were world class. supra introduced many firsts in the inboard market...playpen bows, the short lived allegro was an inboard ski boat with a cuddy cabin, mariah was first open bow ski boat of the year, sunsport won ski boat of the year...

any boat that takes up more time & money than providing enjoyment is a POS until the kinks get worked out. there are so many loyalists because once the kinks are gone the boats are very low maintenance and the best part...no payments!

The older Supras were designed and built by George Fowler look him up he was a genius way far ahead of his time . There just wasn't anything like the supra back then . He built boats from 24' down to 19' like your comp . If you want to know what is so special about your boat just take it out by yourself on some smooth water and crank the wheel is will respond like it has tracks under it Then break out a slalom ski and head for a course . The comp is a ferrari on water if you let it is a great SKI boat . If you want it to be a wake/surf boat you will probably not be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Let me guess, you were born in the mid to late eighties?

I think you answered your own question and everyone that wasn't born in the eighties pretty much said it all.
    Excuse me? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Did you not read the title of this thread? It said Older Supra boat owners. Glad you qualify as younger. Don't get your panties in a bunch!!
    I'm cool, Comp should be back in the water later today now and I'll be tearing it up as I put her through her paces...