Default Get Rudder off 92 Sunsport

How do you get the rudder off????? I have taken out the cotter pin, removed the nut for the steering arm. The bolt for the steering arm will not come out. I have soaked with PB Blast, WD-40, Aerospace Lube. I understand the bolt has a scoop out of the shaft to wedge aginst the rudder shaft. I have beat the bolt and not luck. The only thing that is holding the rudder in is the cotter pin and I belive the packing nut does not hold the rudder. Please help!!!!!

REB

Default Replying to Topic 'Get Rudder off 92 Sunsport'

Have you tried turning the bolt - it may be threaded into the stearing arm. From there you may need a gear puller to get the streaing arm off. The packing nut only needs to be loosened.

While on the subject of rudders. Is there a seal or packing kit for them? I replaced my steering cable after it broke on the river, but still doesn't turn really easy

Check with any inboard dealer they will have what you need. It may be that your nut is turned too tight and is binding the rudder post.

I didn't adjust the nut when i changed the cable. There seems to be a fare amount of play in the rudder, you can move it around when its on the trailer.

Default I GOt the rudder off finally

For the ones that have a hard time getting the rudder off.

I used a cut-off wheel and had to cut the arm in half and then had to cut about 1" of the rudder post to remove the rudder. There was a bur on the rudder post that was causing the problem. Once I removed the rudder it showed a slight bend in the rudder post and this was causing the hard steering to the right. I figure that it was caused from power turns. Once I replaced the new rudder the steering is smooth and can be turned with your finger. Another note is the steering cable was not replaced which saved me about $150.00 plus the time to replace. Another advantage is the replacement rudder has the grease sert. I attached a flex line to the sert so I do not have to crawl under the back seat to grease. FYI

I have a similar problem. My steering is tight in both directions, but the rudder has a lot of slop when I wiggle it from under the boat. I thought I'd need just a new steering cable, but after reading these posts, I'm thinking there might be something else up. How can I properly diagnose? If I need a new cable, what is the proper one? Boat is an '88 TS6m.

Try to issolate the parts in order to determine which part is the problem. Disconnect the cable from the rudder and then try turning the steering wheel. If steering is tight without the rudder connected then you are likely looking at cable replacement. While the cable is unhooked you can also check the rudder to see how easily it turns. Last piece to check would be the strering box. Hope that helps.

Default more rudder issues

got a chance to look at my steering cable and rudder.

Cable is definitely too tight. Ordered another one from skidim. The rudder has too much slop also. It swivels just fine, but there's approximately 1/8 to 1/4" in. movement right at the bottom of the boat and this multiplies to maybe 1" slop at the very bottom of the rudder.

I'm told that there are no more rudders available anywhere for this boat, and that the solution is to replace it entirely with a new aftermarket unit, which requires some modifications to the new unit as well as the hull. I don't like that idea much.

Is there anyway to salvage the original rudder assembly? I don't think mine is bent or anything and its not leaking. Should I leave it?

Default Re: more rudder issues

Quote Originally Posted by washmaster
    I'm told that there are no more rudders available anywhere for this boat, and that the solution is to replace it entirely with a new aftermarket unit,
    Skiers Choice was able to send me one for my '92 mariah about 3 years ago. It only took two days. Talk to parts guru Anthony Cooper at Skier's Choice, he will know for sure if the part is available.

DKJ