Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What did I just discover?!

https://plus.google.com/106172131654...ts/DHphtxNuwmM
    So my Impeller has been causing me some serious headaches, and I'm hoping it hasn't caused any damage to the engine. With a new impeller and seals on the way, I pulled it off tonight to start cleaning out the lines. I pulled off the supertrapps to clean them out and discovered a bunch of black charcoal looking chunks. Any ideas what this is? (There's a pic of the pile of black chunks) Also on the back of the boat was a lot of black ,tarrish coating. I was able to clean it off with some engine degreaser, but it worries me as to what it was. My engine has been running around 160 even with the busted impeller so I don't think it's overheating. Is this black on the back of the boat normal? I took off the trapps to clean them out ( I now realize I need to reseal the gaskets), but when I put them back on, I wasn't sure how they were designed to be aligned. I lined up all the grooves, and tightened down the nut on the bolt pretty tight. Not gorilla tight, but secure.

One of the bi-products of my busted impeller is a blown exhaust hose. I was told the steam from the lack of water was too hot and melted weakened the hose causing it to blow. I have a new one on the way and was going to take the old one off tonight but was unsure short of taking off the riser from the manifold. Is this the way to replace the hoses? If it is, is there a gasket between the riser and the manifold or can I just remove and re-install?

My plan going forward is to replace the impeller and seals, and re-seal the supertrapps, and replace the exhaust hoses. Anything else reccomended?

i would get rid of the super traps. they like to condensate inside the boat and cause rot.

all that black crud is bits of impeller and exhaust hose. I would also replace the thermostat incase it has crud in it too. You might want to flush the system with stat. removed. For the supertrapps you can use permatex gasket maker from auto parts store. make sure the supertrapp base is well sealed to the gelcoat and put sealant on the screws too. then just restack the disks and snug up the lock nut. As for the hose, it should bend enough to install without removing the elbows. But if you do you will need new gaskets since the old ones will surely be destroyed. also make sure you install the new impeller so it turns in the right direction.

What's the best way to flush the system? Or is it something I need to take somewhere and have done by a mechanic? The hose is like...NOT flexible at all...at least the ones on the system are not flexible. Anyone on here installed new hoses? Whats the best way to cut the hose to size? Just a hacksaw or is there something that works better? I have ultra high temp gasket maker if I need to take the elbows off, I would just rather not have to, but I really don't see the hoses coming out without taking the elbows off.

Mine is such a tight fit I had to remove the riser. There is a gasket there though so you will probably want to replace that as well.
    86 Saltare

Does anyone know why the water passage is blocked on the exhaust manifold gasket? I had to take the riser off the manifold, and do not have replacement gaskets, and had planned on using Ultra RTV until I realized that one of the water passages was blocked. Is this going to be a problem if I don't block the water passage?

get some gaskets. dont use rtv. the some manifolds have certain passages blocked off to keep water from going where its not supposed to. rtv is a real pia to get off sometimes.

Ancient post I realize. But I'm replacing the exhaust manifold gaskets and I don't know which way the gaskets go it should close off one port but I don't know which one any thoughts?

The closed side should be towards the exhaust outlet
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

Thank you! Much appreciated!