Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Polish is dulling the gelcoat

I've tried applying it by hand and with a power buffer, but not only is it not polishing it, it is making it incredibly dull. Not real sure what to do. Am I using the wrong polish? I know the bottle says for heavily oxidized finishes, and mine is only lightly oxidized, could that be it? I need help! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

at what temp are you applying and is it in direct sun?
    you will no doubt get a lot of response to this one and varied opinions so pick thru and gleen out the common factorspersonally if it were my boat the very first thing I would do is acid wash it with CLR mixed in water.Sponge it on in a rubbing motion and then let sit for five mins and then hose off --make sure to hose off the trailer too as the mixture will of course run onto it as well.
    then towel dry-----now you will see what you truly have to work with.
    It could be your gelcoat is so heavily oxidized that even the 3M will not get rid of it.
    Try a stand alone fine cut cleaner ( maquires) to remove a small test area.
    If that doesnt work you may well be looking at grit sanding and there are lots of how to posts on this site to help you!
    best of luck!

I just used that on my boat. I had some light oxidation. I went around the boat and around again. I then used a good polish and put two coats on. Use a buffer, make sure you follow the recommended Rpms for the waxs, also make sure to keep the buffer moving and use a little water. The clr trick works and so does baking soda and water. Good luck

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

That stuff you are using works really great with the buffer I use on the boats I clean up. I've used it on some heavily oxidized gel coats where it would have the chalky look and leave that white film on your hand if you touched it. I've never see it do anything like the problem you are having and we have used it on several boats. If the first picture is the is how the finish is before you use the 3m stuff it should be bringing it out no problem then, but they also have a cleaner & wax that is a blue label like that one if you want to try that stuff also.
    Last edited by a_deleon; 07-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

That polish will cut heavy and will need lots of friction to come clean. Are you using a orbital polishing machine or a hand held circular one. Looks to me there is still lots of paste left on the boat causing the haze. I would look for more of a swirl mark remover polish and use a polishing pad.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

if your getting a chalky white residue it usually means you still have oxidation and the product it getting stuck in it. You need a more aggressive product not more pressure or power from your power tools. More pressure and power means more friction and potential for burning.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

i agree ^. also, what type of bonnet and are you cleaning it frequently?

For light oxidation I would be using Meguiars one step compound, found this to work best with a light cut polishing pad.
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

It was around 100 outside, but it was not in direct sunlight. I will try the clr trick today, then try polishing it again. If I get the same results, then I may just have to try a new product, I'll keep y'all updated!

Thanks

I don't wash it near as often as I should, and it still had some water spots after I washed it, I will try it with some clr, hopefully that will get it.