Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

It's not a bad idea to ask...but you are going to receive honest answers and most people here won't pull any punches. If you like it...do it, plain and simple. Who gives a %$&# what anyone else thinks. However, i agree with the boys, it does not look very good right now, but that is simply a personal opinion.

Honestly, it looks like the tower I put on my boat but backwards
    If you are looking for a tower that looks like it belongs on the boat than the New Dimensions tower is the first choice. However, if that is too pricey, which it is, than look at the Roswell Area 51 tower. I installed it on my Saltare and it flows really well with the lines of the windshield. Atleast I think it does. I was surprised how well it looked on it.
    "Where There's a Will, there's a way!"

Check out my 1987 rebuild thread here
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...-Resto-begins.

Quote Originally Posted by z2smith View Post
    So apparently it's a bad idea to ask for wakeboard tower advice on this forum - unless it's in support of New Dimensions.
    i must admit this made me chuckle.

your design is unconventional so it shouldn't be surprising that most opinions differ. from a constructive standpoint, what are your design objectives?...strength and a different look are obvious but your concept looks similar to a backwards New Dimension. in that regard it's not terribly different.

The one photo I seen looks like you have a nice classic supra. Id like to see more pics of that alone. also its hard to believe you could put all that tubing together cheaper than buying one that will look great and even if you make it yourself you have to factor in your time.

There is a lot of fans for New Dimension towers, I like the swoop tower. And I almost went with New Dimension, but then someone I respect talked me out of it. I won't repeat what was said. I am really happy with my monster tower. I know a lot of people are against them. But I am happy with it. I kind of like where you are going with your design. But I don't like the top if it. I realize it is a rough design. You don't mention how you plan on building it, or if you have someone that is going to do it for you, and what you are planning on using for material.

It would probably be easier to buy one already made, but most of us on here haven't made the easier choices or we wouldn't have older Supras. Especially those that have redone their stringers themselves. Main thing is that you like your boat and enjoy it.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    "...your design is unconventional so it shouldn't be surprising..." "...in that regard it's not terribly different."
    -Kind of confusing but I think I know what your saying.

I wouldn't mind a New Dimensions tower but - A: They used too skinney of tubing IMHO and it makes them look wimpy which my Saltare does not look. -B: They cost too much for something I'm not that crazy about.

From a constructive standpoint my objectives are something that IS really strong, and looks strong. I favor the forward slanted design, so that's what I've been working on. I found a different forum that has helpful guides on making your own tower which I now realize is where I should have posted my idea originally haha.

Quote Originally Posted by wspeedin View Post
    Honestly, it looks like the tower I put on my boat but backwards
    If you are looking for a tower that looks like it belongs on the boat than the New Dimensions tower is the first choice. However, if that is too pricey, which it is, than look at the Roswell Area 51 tower. I installed it on my Saltare and it flows really well with the lines of the windshield. Atleast I think it does. I was surprised how well it looked on it.
    Thanks for the advice! I have heard some negative thins about New Dimensions as well...I like the look of the tower you put on your Saltere!! Thanks for the suggestion I will look into that. Do you know if it comes in black?

I have an air boom tower on my salt. it's more angular than most but that is what i like.....got lucky in that it came that way. if the tower doesn't come in black you could always powder coat it. I do love the fact you want to do it yourself though! i'm all about DIY
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by z2smith View Post
    Wow...that is...special. So apparently it's a bad idea to ask for wakeboard tower advice on this forum - unless it's in support of New Dimensions.
    Now I'll throw this out there, even though I have a ND tower, I'm not a ND fanboy. I'm very open to other companies designs, and hope many more come out with comparable towers. By comparable I mean in fit, finish, and clean style. Everyone has their own idea of what looks good. But I've rarely seen a more cleanly welded, shaped, and fit tower than ND. That's why I bought mine.

But there are companies out there that now have time under their belt and are making better towers everyday. The reason I made my comment was because quite honestly it looks god awful. I think if you want a reverse flowing tower, then fine, but that is a bad one. Bring the legs together, create matching radius legs that flow at the same curve rate and maybe you can clean it up. But staggering the legs like that it does just look like someone put a tower on backwards.

Keep trying. Sometimes you have to put every idea out there to narrow it down to final design.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Bring the legs together, create matching radius legs that flow at the same curve rate and maybe you can clean it up. But staggering the legs like that it does just look like someone put a tower on backwards.
    Thanks! That is helpful.