Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

You stated two reasons for wanting to use this type of design: 1) you just like it, and 2) you feel that it's stronger. Well, no one can argue with the first point. That's your choice. But I urge you to not consider the second option too seriously. Stronger for strong's sake does not add value. You only need it so strong. Sure you can always make something stronger, but it is worth it? Do you get value for the effort/cost? Likely not. It's needs to be strong enough, and it's obviously quite easy to make a standard orientation tower "strong enough."

Personally, there are precious few forward facing towers that I like, but none of them fit the lines and style of an older boat. Supra or otherwise.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    I have an air boom tower on my salt. it's more angular than most but that is what i like.....got lucky in that it came that way. if the tower doesn't come in black you could always powder coat it. I do love the fact you want to do it yourself though! i'm all about DIY
    I would totally put that tower on my boat, where did you get it? I tried searching for it but find nothing as angular, which I also like. Thanks

It came with the boat and apparently was installed back in 05, so i'm pretty sure it has been discontinued.
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by z2smith View Post
    I would totally put that tower on my boat, where did you get it? I tried searching for it but find nothing as angular, which I also like. Thanks
    So are you looking for something more rigid in appearance versus smooth flowing? That one looks like the design one of the FCT (flight control tower) that was on the Super Air Nautiques. They are rigid in shape, but always looked so great on them. Look at an 02-03 Super Air Nautique (SAN).

Aw hell, here:

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    That one looks like the design one of the FCT (flight control tower) that was on the Super Air Nautiques.
    ...Yup. That would do nicely. Unfortunately I don't have the budget for a ND tower haha. If I decided to go that route, would that tower even fit on my boat since it is designed for the Nautique's? That may be something I'd have to ask ND. I might otherwise just try and copy the basic design of that one and use thicker pipe to get the look I want.

Quote Originally Posted by z2smith View Post
    I might otherwise just try and copy the basic design of that one and use thicker pipe to get the look I want.
    That was where I was heading. You could easily build something like that if you are an experience tube fabricator. Are you?

Another issue to consider, how do you access the mount to put the rope on. Current rear-facing towers, you can stand on the bench-seat to put the rope up. On forward-facing, I would imagine you have to stand on a passenger seat or the walk-thru if you so have one.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Sorry if this question has been answered, but is it possible to properly install a tower on my 87 Saltare without removing the cap? I have read every thread I can find on here and still don't have a solid answer. I believe I have found the tower I will use (not 100% decided though): http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/h2o/
    Anyone on here have experience with this company or better yet this tower? Price seems good, and styling looks like it should be decent.

On your upholstered side panels -- once you remove them you'll either find a big-ass hole, or you can cut a big-ass hole. The front mounts can be accessed the same way -- behind the upholstery or with long arms through the speaker holes.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I was thinking about buying one but I went with the Airborne Tower (http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/...irborne-pa.asp) and am quite happy with it. The price is pretty high on their site right now but they discount it on a regular basis. It is best to call them and see what kind of deal you can get. That is if you like the style. I like mine and it is solid. I did not have to take the cap off of my 92 Sunsport and I don't think that would ever be necessary. I did have to cut one hole in the back wall of the compartment that is in front of the spotter seat. I just used a 5.5" hole saw and that gave me enough room to get some blocking in for the front bracket. The other brackets and backing were easy to get to from below steering console and by removing the access panels on the sides in the back of the boat.

I got the Airborne Tower Package 2 with Mirror thrown in as well for $1,465.00 including shipping. So that gave me the two racks, two speakers, the mirror, the Airborne Tower with the the tow point light, and the wiring that runs inside the tower. I switched the combo rack from kneeboard/wakeboard to surf/wakeboard. H2O Sports Warehouse does compete with Big Air and so they are most likely going to give you a decent price if you are considering their competition.

I don't have any good pictures of the boat with tower and all accessories installed but here is one without the speakers.

20120807_162004.jpg