Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Anyone ever replaced a prop without a prop puller?

I really don't want to pay the money for one, or pay someone to do it. I have an assortment of clamps and a flywheel puller. I'm pretty sure I can rig something up that will work and wont damage anything. Just curious if someone has a sure fire way to do it without a puller that could save me some frustration. It's an OJ 3 blade, replacing it with an ACME 541.

Thanks!

You will love the 541, I went ahead and bought the puller. I didn't want to take the chance. But I would think it could be done easily enough with if you can find a gear puller or flywheel puller that will fit. If you were closer I would loan you mine.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by gogger View Post
    You will love the 541, I went ahead and bought the puller. I didn't want to take the chance. But I would think it could be done easily enough with if you can find a gear puller or flywheel puller that will fit. If you were closer I would loan you mine.
    I sure wish you did too! Thanks for the offer. I'm pretty certain I can get it done with the tools I have with some improvisation. There's a pretty good amount of room between the fins on a three blade to get something through there. Whenever I get around to doing it (the boat is stored out of town or I'd do it tonight) I will be sure to take some good pics so others wont be forced to buy a tool that they may only use once a year, if that. The cheapest one I've been able to find was around $80, which seems a bit steep for a modified $5 C clamp. But I sure am looking forward to having that 541 on there. I put a slight bend on the tip of one of the fins on the stock OJ, the difference that made was amazing, my 325hp monster turned into a 4 banger Tahoe in the blink of an eye. It will still get up to about 40, but it would do 55 easily before, and the wholeshot was greatly reduced, It's a completely different boat than when I bought it.

I borrowed one from a local boat shop with a $50 deposit that they returned when I returned the puller in tact. Call around to your local boat shops. They may pop it off for about $20 cash if you walk up to a shop monkey and hand him a $20 and see if they can pop it real quick.

You can do it without one, but it's a bitch. A lot of hammering, blocks of wood, more hammering, swear words, muscle strain, swear words, more hammering.....repeat.

Another vote of confidence for the 541. Love it.

I used a gear puller on mine and didn't really have any issues.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Leave the nut on and an oxy torch will cause it to pop right off.

If you don't have an oxy torch, use a propane torch... heat it up and then use a BFH (a big rubber one) to knock it off.

I've done it this way every time.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I was at a boat show and saw a big nut at a Prop guy's booth that he said you screw it on the end and whack it with a hammer and it will make it come loose.. anyone seen these?
    86 Saltare

I've pulled my original OJ cast 3 blade with a 3 jaw puller. Fit past hte blades and came off easily. I'll be pulling mine again this week as I just got a 541 too. Popular prop it seems!

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

An ex marina owner walked me through removal of mine without a prop puller. Just blocked the prop with a piece of wood against the hull and took it right off.