Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    I borrowed one from a local boat shop with a $50 deposit that they returned when I returned the puller in tact. Call around to your local boat shops. They may pop it off for about $20 cash if you walk up to a shop monkey and hand him a $20 and see if they can pop it real quick.

You can do it without one, but it's a bitch. A lot of hammering, blocks of wood, more hammering, swear words, muscle strain, swear words, more hammering.....repeat.
    ----you didn't have enough swearing in your reply Haugy! I would add at least four more!!!!

I did it with the torch and block of wood the first time. Tried it with a three arm puller. Then spent the 75 and got a puller designed for it. Can it be done without the right/designed tool? Yes. Do I want to build a kitchen cabinet with a scroll saw? A lot prob depends on when it was last taken off vs how secure it is in place.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Quote Originally Posted by jzelt View Post
    I did it with the torch and block of wood the first time. Tried it with a three arm puller. Then spent the 75 and got a puller designed for it. Can it be done without the right/designed tool? Yes. Do I want to build a kitchen cabinet with a scroll saw? A lot prob depends on when it was last taken off vs how secure it is in place.
    Agreed, I have taken mine off a few times without the puller, it's just the way my prop mated to the shaft. One good whack with a 2x4 it's come right off several times. But many others have required a lot of force with the puller to break the two apart, on various other boats.

In any case, back the nut off but leave it on the threads, so that when the prop does pop off, it doesn't hit you, it can pop off with a lot of force. You will probably be fine with the tools you have for occasional use. Really each prop and shaft are a little different as far as how they mate together, therefore how hard they are to take apart.
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 07-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!

If your going to use the old one as a spare, buy the puller. Torches don't work under water and your going to spend the cash in tips for the tow of shame back to the ramp and burn a day also. Carry swim goggles also.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

I have always taken mine off with a gear puller.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    Leave the nut on and an oxy torch will cause it to pop right off.

If you don't have an oxy torch, use a propane torch... heat it up and then use a BFH (a big rubber one) to knock it off.

I've done it this way every time.

9 months later and I have an update! I actually did this last July but never posted back on this thread. But the torch method worked great. I heated it up at the base with a butane torch for about 30 seconds, tapped it with a brass hammer and it popped right off! The 541 is a great prop btw, very pleased with it.

Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear the outcome.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

A prop puller is a good investment, and good peace of mind to have in your boat. A prop puller, portable impact drill, and the correct size socket will make changing your prop a 5 minute ordeal. It will take more time replacing the cotter pin than the prop if you set yourself up with the correct tools for the job. Why smack your prop with a hammer or 2x4 and risk dinging it when you can just pull the trigger of a cordless drill and watch it fall off?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I'm pulling the shaft this weekend on my boat, since loosing my prop at the end of the season, I figure the key banging against a loose prop may have cracked the shaft so I don't want to loose a brand new 541 (yup, another one) to a broken shaft for the sake of a quick dye check. Plus, the prop should be lapped, and doing that under the boat would be a pain. I can't speak to this as an expert, only what I've researched, and I would never consider installing a prop without lapping it after watching an expert explain how it should work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozh4JjoWm4