Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Budget Sub and Amp

Anyone have any recommendations for 1 sub and a an amp that would be decent qualtiy for the price?

I know that is all vague, but looking for some recomendations...
    86 Saltare

How loud do you want to be? A single Alpine Type R 12" and ~1000watts (Hifonics or a PPI S1300.1d) would be under $500w/ a box and be more than most people need.

Here's a decent package that is almost the exact same thing (most of these class D amps are all the same on the insides, NVX is just Sonics "house" band.)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-Package.html
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Are these marine grade, or do they even have to be Marine grade?
    86 Saltare

I'm sure others will chime in -- generally speaking, marine grade means that they are splash/moisture resistant. If you're not around salt-water, you'll probably be fine with non-marine grade components. I've got my sub under my helm and my amps in the odd space under my dashboard. Neither of them get wet or have the possibility of getting splashed.

You could spend twice the money on WetSounds.......
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    You could spend twice the money on WetSounds.......
    lol, I like where your head is.... I was thinking car audio, but it has been 15 years since I had my Infinity Kappa 12's with my 1000 watt JBL Amp.in my 89 Cougar....
    I loved those...

Does Infinity still make good stuff?? I Found they still make the Kappas and found them on Amazon for like 120 for 10"... They have Reference Models for like 60 bucks for a 12".... I know you get what you pay for, but I am not looking to rattle my boat apart, just to give the 6 1/2" some depth...

Anyone have any experice with these??
    86 Saltare

I just put a new 10" JL sub, 700 watt JL amp and Exile tower speakers in - Ordered them from EarMark Audio - Clearance items - Saved a ton of cash - Amp was 1/2 off paid about $200 and $150 for the sub which was 1/2 off as well - the Exile XM 9's where 1/2 off - had a small scratch on the bottom (took black paint and touched it up)- Call and talk to Oden! also we have a discount - pm me and I will send you the code if you are interested
    kriley
    90 comp ts6m

Jasun,

If you are looking to balance out your in-boat system by filling in those missing low notes, then a single 10" woofer in a simple sealed enclosure with 150-200 watts rms is all thats needed. A single voice coil 4 ohm sub bridged on a 2 chnl amp will be a very reasonable setup. Also, knowing more about what your current setup is, you might be able to re-purpose or reconfigure and existing amp to drive the in-boats and a new sub.

True marine gear is not necessary, but it has its advantages. Marine subs will have a rubber surround, all composite cone and an aluminum or composite basket. Stay away from a pure paper coned sub, even laminated. In a sealed enclosure, a paper on the back and composite on the front is ok. Even stamped steel basket is not not too big of an issue for a trailered fresh water boat.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I have a Sony CDXM30 52 W X4 and 4 Infinity Reference 225 Watts peak power handling and 4 Ohm impedance ....

Any recomendation Wylie? Again, not looking to break the bank, but want it to just have good sound.
    86 Saltare

A dedicated amplifier is needed for such speakers if you want "sound" and bass, instead of "noise" from the cd player's amplifier ...
    Especially a SONY player ! I never heard such poison from a source unit than SONY's.

Forget about that brand, they make very good home things, but for marine and cars it sucksssssss
    Go for Pioneer, Kenwood, Rockford, MB Quart, Clarion etc.

My setup is actually a cheap and powerful combo (more powerful than the full JL audio setup from a Mastercraft) :

Pioneer DEH-6300SD USB, AUX, FM, iPod / iPhone de contrôle : $100
    Pioneer marine remote CD-MR70 : $60
    BOSS MR650 marine speakers (in the boat) x4 : $90
    BOSS MR695 marine speakers (on the tower) x4 : $128
    MTX Road Thunder RT12-04 RT SUBWOOFER : $100 (home made enclosure : $0)
    Cars used amplifiers (a old school MTX, and a old school ORION) : $200
    wires + connectors + fuses etc : $150

You can go for class-D full range amplifiers, they give good power and less amps consumption than class-AB.
    If I can, I would like to switch to the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 for all my installation.

Hope it helps
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Would I need 2 amps if I was just running 1 sub? one for the 6 1/2's and one for the sub? Is a mono the best for a sub? I have been looking at used gear on craigs list, but havnt pulled the trigger on anything. How many watts is your MTX and Orion?

As far as your comment on the Pioneer, I harbor the same feeling you do about Sony... I had several junk pioneer decks in my car and finally went to Sony... That is why I went with them here too. how big of amp would I need for my 6 1/2's? what about that Infinity Refernce sub?
    86 Saltare