Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Budget Sub and Amp

Anyone have any recommendations for 1 sub and a an amp that would be decent qualtiy for the price?

I know that is all vague, but looking for some recomendations...
    86 Saltare

How loud do you want to be? A single Alpine Type R 12" and ~1000watts (Hifonics or a PPI S1300.1d) would be under $500w/ a box and be more than most people need.

Here's a decent package that is almost the exact same thing (most of these class D amps are all the same on the insides, NVX is just Sonics "house" band.)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...s-Package.html
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Are these marine grade, or do they even have to be Marine grade?
    86 Saltare

I'm sure others will chime in -- generally speaking, marine grade means that they are splash/moisture resistant. If you're not around salt-water, you'll probably be fine with non-marine grade components. I've got my sub under my helm and my amps in the odd space under my dashboard. Neither of them get wet or have the possibility of getting splashed.

You could spend twice the money on WetSounds.......
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    You could spend twice the money on WetSounds.......
    lol, I like where your head is.... I was thinking car audio, but it has been 15 years since I had my Infinity Kappa 12's with my 1000 watt JBL Amp.in my 89 Cougar....
    I loved those...

Does Infinity still make good stuff?? I Found they still make the Kappas and found them on Amazon for like 120 for 10"... They have Reference Models for like 60 bucks for a 12".... I know you get what you pay for, but I am not looking to rattle my boat apart, just to give the 6 1/2" some depth...

Anyone have any experice with these??
    86 Saltare

I just put a new 10" JL sub, 700 watt JL amp and Exile tower speakers in - Ordered them from EarMark Audio - Clearance items - Saved a ton of cash - Amp was 1/2 off paid about $200 and $150 for the sub which was 1/2 off as well - the Exile XM 9's where 1/2 off - had a small scratch on the bottom (took black paint and touched it up)- Call and talk to Oden! also we have a discount - pm me and I will send you the code if you are interested
    kriley
    90 comp ts6m

Johnyb, are you talking about the xst towers? If so how do they sound? Are they better than the kickers I used to have?

Not necessarily, just the brand in general, since someone said they sounded expensive.

The XST towers are just a set of tower cans with XS-65 or XS-650's. They sound just like the coax's do, but are designed to be mounted on a tower. The 650's, in my opinion, sound a lot better than the Kicker tower speakers. I had a customer bring a set of those by to be installed and I wasn't very impressed with them. I don't think he was either. The 650's have a sound unique of their own, and you really have to hear a set to understand how good they sound.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Might have to give them a try. Looking for cheep towers, but don't want the same crappy kickers I had on my old boat. Going to be going with a rev8 six pack this winter, need tunes till then

Quote Originally Posted by villain View Post
    Might have to give them a try. Looking for cheep towers, but don't want the same crappy kickers I had on my old boat. Going to be going with a rev8 six pack this winter, need tunes till then
    Ive been a Kicker installer for over 5 years and they are FAR from crappy. Now, what someone likes and dislikes the sound of, is totally in the ears of the listener, so I tend to not interject what I personally like the sound of.

Im willing to bet your dislike with the Kickers, resulting in the opinion of Crappy, is due to a number of things, and not the actual brand, build quality and sound quality of the speakers.

What model Kickers?
    Are they in small aluminum pods?
    How are they powered
    How is the amp tuned?
    What are your overall tower speaker goals?

All of the above will impact your perception, and can be duplicated with any brand speaker on the market. Even an awesome speaker like xs-650. Id be willing to bet that if you swapped the drivers only, and made no other changes, the results would be about the same. Yes, they will sound different, but that doesnt equal "better" when the root cause of the poor results remained the same.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio