Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Of my own experience, (My first job was seller/mounting hifi in cars), Infinity made in the past real HIFI speakers/amps. With the kappa (green speakers, tweeter EMIT etc.) and BETA speakers.
    My brother recently bought a Reference 2 ohms Infinity kit, I was realy frustrated about the result. Sound was "acid", with omnipresent crying tweeters.
    I don't know about your sub and speakers, take a look at the X-max and sensitivity. In a boat, you need pressure to hear music. Bet on high sensitivity speakers, HIFI style (Infinity is/was good IMO), with powerful US amplifiers. I would recommand Rockord, MTX, Orion, Polk, hifonics, kicker, Autotek, JL audio, Cerwin Vega, some Crunch are good.
    Forget about japanese amplifiers, lack of power for a boat IMO.

You can go for a 4 channel amp to run 4x 6 1/2' (connected in parallel) + 1 SUB (4 ohms single coil or 2x 2 ohms). A mono amp for a Sub will be interresting in class-D for multi coil or multi sub application. For a low budget, prefer a good 4 channel class-D

Here is my setup connection :
    2x channel MTX 62.5w/channel for [4 speakers // wirrered in the boat, that's 120Wrms on each, high pass filter @ 100 HZ]
    4x channel ORION 75w/channel for [4 speakers // wirrered on the tower, that's 150Wrms on each, high pass filter @ 80 HZ] on channel 1/2 + [the subwoofre bridged, 300Wrms, low pass filter @ 80HZ] on channel 3/4

Note that my Pioneer unit has 3x RCA outputs @ 4V. Voltage is important as it gives more dynamics and power. Most of low prices CD players are 2V ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    I have a Sony CDXM30 52 W X4 and 4 Infinity Reference 225 Watts peak power handling and 4 Ohm impedance ....

Any recomendation Wylie? Again, not looking to break the bank, but want it to just have good sound.
    A Kicker KM-10 is a great sound sub and very musical (SQ) and works great in a simple 1.0 ft3 sealed enclosure. Or if you have space, you can get it in its own enclosure part # SKM-10. Pair it up with a full-range Class-D KXM400.4 marine 4 chnl. This will drive each in-boat @ 50W rms each and sub @ 200W rms. Or the KXM800.5 full-range class-D 5 chnl. This amp will deliver the same power, but with the sub on its own dedicated sub chnl, you have the flexibility to add a 3rd pair of in-boats. The 5 chnl will also deliver up to 400W rms to a 2 ohm sub-woofer.

A couple of alternate amp option would the the Arc XDi804 or the XDi805.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Wet Sounds HT1 and XS12 would sound great in the right enclosure. If you didn't have room for that, an XS-10FA would work well too.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Jasun, best to tell us your budget, then we can help you on a low cost system.
    Wetsound doesn't sound cheap to me ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

SDC, that's not true about Wet Sounds.....

I've had customers in the past that had low budgets, and most, if not all, have ended up with Wet Sounds equipment. Since the new HT line has been out, they've put themselves in the range of a lot more budgets then they had in the past.
    My Install Gallery

Default Budget Sub and Amp

Johnyb, are you talking about the xst towers? If so how do they sound? Are they better than the kickers I used to have?

Not necessarily, just the brand in general, since someone said they sounded expensive.

The XST towers are just a set of tower cans with XS-65 or XS-650's. They sound just like the coax's do, but are designed to be mounted on a tower. The 650's, in my opinion, sound a lot better than the Kicker tower speakers. I had a customer bring a set of those by to be installed and I wasn't very impressed with them. I don't think he was either. The 650's have a sound unique of their own, and you really have to hear a set to understand how good they sound.
    My Install Gallery

Default Budget Sub and Amp

Might have to give them a try. Looking for cheep towers, but don't want the same crappy kickers I had on my old boat. Going to be going with a rev8 six pack this winter, need tunes till then

Quote Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
    SDC, that's not true about Wet Sounds.....

I've had customers in the past that had low budgets, and most, if not all, have ended up with Wet Sounds equipment. Since the new HT line has been out, they've put themselves in the range of a lot more budgets then they had in the past.
    Exactly! Its also not an apples to apples comparison to put Wet Sounds, at MSRP, up next to a 3 year old discontinued model amp listed on an internet discount site.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Don't get me started on internet discount sites.... You guys haven't seen poor service until you have to deal with those poor excuse for companies.
    My Install Gallery