Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by villain View Post
    Might have to give them a try. Looking for cheep towers, but don't want the same crappy kickers I had on my old boat. Going to be going with a rev8 six pack this winter, need tunes till then
    Ive been a Kicker installer for over 5 years and they are FAR from crappy. Now, what someone likes and dislikes the sound of, is totally in the ears of the listener, so I tend to not interject what I personally like the sound of.

Im willing to bet your dislike with the Kickers, resulting in the opinion of Crappy, is due to a number of things, and not the actual brand, build quality and sound quality of the speakers.

What model Kickers?
    Are they in small aluminum pods?
    How are they powered
    How is the amp tuned?
    What are your overall tower speaker goals?

All of the above will impact your perception, and can be duplicated with any brand speaker on the market. Even an awesome speaker like xs-650. Id be willing to bet that if you swapped the drivers only, and made no other changes, the results would be about the same. Yes, they will sound different, but that doesnt equal "better" when the root cause of the poor results remained the same.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Default Budget Sub and Amp

They were the ktm6's. every year the surround would crack. Working for a tige dealer, we also carry wetsounds. So getting a deal on them is no biggie. Just would rather drop 300 on a pair now than over extend myself on the 6 pack that I'm saving for.

jonyb, your package solution is $680. That's why I'm asking jasun's budget, that doesn't sounds a budget system to me.
    I had the amazing chance to ride and use a Mastercraft X35 for 3 years, with 4x componant tower speakers, 1 JL A sub and 4 coponents in the boat, + 3 JL A amplifiers.
    This system is about $6000-7000, and was sounding great, BUT, not as powerful as my actual $600 setup (including amps, sub, tower speakers, in-boat speakers). I surely loose some quality definition, but, nobody hear it as I choose good amps with the right filtering/tuning and "hifi" speakers.

That's just my feeling, you don't need to spend more money to have more sound
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    jonyb, your package solution is $680. That's why I'm asking jasun's budget, that doesn't sounds a budget system to me.
    I had the amazing chance to ride and use a Mastercraft X35 for 3 years, with 4x componant tower speakers, 1 JL A sub and 4 coponents in the boat, + 3 JL A amplifiers.
    This system is about $6000-7000, and was sounding great, BUT, not as powerful as my actual $600 setup (including amps, sub, tower speakers, in-boat speakers). I surely loose some quality definition, but, nobody hear it as I choose good amps with the right filtering/tuning and "hifi" speakers.

That's just my feeling, you don't need to spend more money to have more sound
    $680 at retail. Does anybody sell at retail anymore?
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

well i know it has been awhile since I updated, but I finally pulled the Trigger.

Got a Rockford Fosgate R400-4D and an MTX Audio RTS12-04 based on the recomendations from our buddy in France Sdc77

Built a box and got it all hooked up. Sounds Great for under 300 bucks! Ill throw some pics up when I take some. Thanks for all the recomendations!!
    86 Saltare

Thanks for feedback Jeff
    Hope you will enjoy your budget installation as good as I enjoy mine

What king of enclosure do you build ? Sealed or vented ? Mine is sealed and rocks very much more than the expensive free air JL audio that was in the MC X35 ...

Do you have a tower on the boat ? Do you plan to put tower speakers ?

Keep posting pics and feeling
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

I want to make some changes to it this winter. I have enough MDF left to build another box so I plan to do that and do a better job wrapping it. The current box, i bought the wrong carpet and was too impatient so just wrapped it. Looks like this, but noone can see it. I am using a sealed box with the Factory Recomended DIMs.

I do not have a tower so no towe speakers as of yet. Maybe someday. I didnt get to wakeboard near as much as I would have liked so I just went with a pylon this year.
    86 Saltare

I went really simple. I added a powered bass tube to my Comp. I put it under the deck on the drivers side. Works perfect. Not overwhelming.

I have a new mtx 5 channel amp listed in the classifieds. Will easily power 4 cabin speakers and a sub, or 2 tower speakers and a sub. Great budget amp, just looking to get some of my money back on it. Will take $200 shipped if you interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    I went really simple. I added a powered bass tube to my Comp. I put it under the deck on the drivers side. Works perfect. Not overwhelming.
    I did the same thing in ours this spring. Also added 4 Polk 6 1/2s and a cheap MB Quart amp to replace quite possibly the worst stereo EVER to be put in a boat. The results far exceeded my expectations. It's nice when that happens.
    1990 COMP
    PCM 351
    1.23:1 TRANS