Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think you need to break down the individual systems on boats to figure out what is going to hold value and what is going to lose value. I also think we've entered another "new generation" of boats in the last couple of years when the independent systems began to become integrated into a central control/computer. The vectoring rudders/skegs, surf gates, speed control with ballast integration, etc are all going to detract from the value of used boats in a few years. These sytems are going to be great as long as they are under warranty, but once OEM support/parts dries up -- you're going to be proper SCREWED.

It's not a problem that will be independent to the marine industry, however -- so there is hope. All industries are now fully saturated with integrated electronics. As these systems begin to break down and fail, I suspect that niche businesses will blossom that can repair/replace these systems will emerge. There will certainly be a demand for it.

Certain systems are going to be fine, though. All of the engine and engine management components have been used so extensively that they will be continued to be available and supported. Are they more complicated? Of course. But people will figure out ways to work on these systems and keep them going.

Compare the market with that of cars -- there isn't a huge pricing gap between old "simple" cars and newer cars with complex, integrated systems. People aren't junking their new cars because older cars are easier to work on. The trade off of better convenience, economy, function and comfort comes with having more stuff to break and repair bills sometimes being higher. It's just the way things are now.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

no doubt composite won't rot but were the floors/hulls/supports built stout enough to last 28+ yrs? will the floors under ballast tank locations survive that long? if they suffer stress failures are they easily repairable? i don't know enough about the design and construction to even guess. i'd like to think they were but as you guys have mentioned keeping costs down is a big goal when the manufacturing process gets more complicated. there's also more resin in these hulls/floors and that's only gotten more expensive over time. i have to assume that some areas have been thinned where the engineers think appropriate.

bolt-ons for longevity's sake are a good design. integrated components are more of a roll of the dice. i've never pulled a floor on a new boat. how easy is it to get to the gas tank? i've seen pics, gas tanks are plastic nowadays. same goes with any boats that have ballast under the floors. if there are tanks, are they reachable?

Default Used Boats of the Future

It makes perfect sense to me, it's kind of like watching all the elements come together to form a perfect storm as it were. The boat manufacturers might be doing an excellent job at pricing themselves out of most people's budget like you say in the future as the used boat market will be a totally different landscape than what we find today. Heck, even a new boat comparable to the comp would set me back somewhere around $40-50 grand. How much is that really going to depreciate in the eyes of a seller years from now?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

30 years from now the computer and technology will be 15 times more powerful than todays with the current growth pattern. With this aspect the boats of today will be very much comparable to those of the 80's to now. I cannot see much of a change in the general propulsion method in water and the hull design rather than with fuel preservation or engine type. As for the restoration of todays boats in the future, the largest issue will be the interiors and gel coat restorations.

Watersports of tomorrow will have the biggest influence to the way one might restore a boat of today 20-30 from now. Who knows perhaps technology will squash the internal combustion engine by then.....

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

My $.02 is simple mechanics will stand the test of time and can be repaired easily and relatively cost effectively, hence why so many people are restoring classic era Supra's. The big problem is that your chance of finding a non-abused wake/ski boat in this day and age is next to impossible, and no one will want a boat that needs new LCD screens, computer tuning, etc.

"They don't make them like they used too".
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

30 yrs from now i probably won't be able to use a boat, so i'm not to concerned Really though, what we do wrenching on boats is what the kids will do with computers so it will probably be about the same.
    Function before fashion!

Default Re: Used Boats of the Future

Funny I ran across this. As I was just talking about this the other day. Well price wise that is.

I bought my first Supra 11 years ago, by then it was 15 years old and spend the prior 4 years in dry storage. Roped it for 6K. It wasn't everything I wanted. Closed bow wasn't on my list but I bought it because of the look of it and the reputation supra has. I was tired of seeing MC dominate our river and I wanted something that would turn heads.

11 years later, now 26 years old, I'm just starting to have a few problems with it every year. Vinyl is cracking, couple sift spots in the floor but that 454 will still throw a wake and she still turns heads every day. I'm always getting offers to buy it.

As I sit here and look to upgrade, I'm distraught by how plain looking boats have become. No teak trim, everything seems to be fiberglass and bare. However, to buy a 12-15 year old boat today, I'm going to have to dump 3-4 times the money than I ever had. That's crazy. Especially when you hear all the electronic problems and maintained now is limited to the owner, since everything is computer operated.

I don't regret buying that Supra Maurader back 11 years ago. But I tell you, I wish it was open bow because I'd gladly dump 12K in it and keep riding a beautiful 1st Gen than a plain looking supra with all It's GPS navigation and blue tooth and YouTube abilities.

Just my opinion!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    Funny I ran across this. As I was just talking about this the other day. Well price wise that is.

I bought my first Supra 11 years ago, by then it was 15 years old and spend the prior 4 years in dry storage. Roped it for 6K. It wasn't everything I wanted. Closed bow wasn't on my list but I bought it because of the look of it and the reputation supra has. I was tired of seeing MC dominate our river and I wanted something that would turn heads.

11 years later, now 26 years old, I'm just starting to have a few problems with it every year. Vinyl is cracking, couple sift spots in the floor but that 454 will still throw a wake and she still turns heads every day. I'm always getting offers to buy it.

As I sit here and look to upgrade, I'm distraught by how plain looking boats have become. No teak trim, everything seems to be fiberglass and bare. However, to buy a 12-15 year old boat today, I'm going to have to dump 3-4 times the money than I ever had. That's crazy. Especially when you hear all the electronic problems and maintained now is limited to the owner, since everything is computer operated.

I don't regret buying that Supra Maurader back 11 years ago. But I tell you, I wish it was open bow because I'd gladly dump 12K in it and keep riding a beautiful 1st Gen than a plain looking supra with all It's GPS navigation and blue tooth and YouTube abilities.

Just my opinion!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk
    You said it perfect. I work at a tige dealer and would rather take my Sunsport out than the shops z3. Cheeper on gas, more reliable ballast and options, and will still do everything that the 100k boat will do. Most if the time just as good.

The wealthy folks that have the lake house and spoiled kids will continue to buy the newest tech every few years. These high tech boats will hold value for many years. At some point this "value " will drop like a rock due to expensive repairs and service. I expect to see a 10-15 yr old Moomba or Axis that needs some TLC depreciate from 60-70k down to 12-15k if they sell enough of them.

I know it is not the same but ... My 2004 Suburban cost about 50k 10 years ago. Now it's worth less than 10k and it is in great shape. FYI I purchased it for 12 about 3 years ago.

If I could justify a high boat payment I would have a new one every few years, but I can't so I have a 28 year old Supra that will do almost anything a new one can. And it's paid for!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk