Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hole Shot Power

Default Hole Shot Power

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ha, we can not only get boat info on here, but deep wisdom also!
    Quote Originally Posted by villain View Post
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Default Hole Shot Power

Hahaha it has worked for me so far. But she understands that the boat comes first. Lol

I have the same distributor it’s really simple the way it works.. Take out the plate that the points are mounted to and look at the weight mechanism . Make sure that everything is moving freely, clean and re-lube everything in there. There should be 2 small light weight springs in there. If the spring are to strong it will raise the advance curve to a higher RPM. Someone may have installed the wrong strength of springs . It will work with only 1 spring . I have over 1700 hrs on mine I drought it’s worn out it just needs some TLC. You can get a spring kit at Napa $10. 19 degrees sounds about right. You can do this in less than a hr.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagman View Post
    I have the same distributor it’s really simple the way it works.. Take out the plate that the points are mounted to and look at the weight mechanism . Make sure that everything is moving freely, clean and re-lube everything in there. There should be 2 small light weight springs in there. If the spring are to strong it will raise the advance curve to a higher RPM. Someone may have installed the wrong strength of springs . It will work with only 1 spring . I have over 1700 hrs on mine I drought it’s worn out it just needs some TLC. You can get a spring kit at Napa $10. 19 degrees sounds about right. You can do this in less than a hr.
    If I can fix it that would be great, but I am confused. It will only advance 9 degrees and it takes 5000 rpms to do that. Shouldn't it advance 24 degrees or so? The springs seem very tight.

19 degrees is stock advance. Set base timing to 10 degrees, the distributor will advance 19 degrees more total 29 degrees advance by 1500 to 2000 rpm . I’m thinking that the springs are to strong. Or it needs cleaning. Book is inspect ,clean & lube every 100 hrs.

Now it makes sense. I will take a look. My mechanic said it wasn't worth me paying him to mess with this old one, but I may try to myself before buying new. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagman View Post
    19 degrees is stock advance. Set base timing to 10 degrees, the distributor will advance 19 degrees more total 29 degrees advance by 1500 to 2000 rpm . I’m thinking that the springs are to strong. Or it needs cleaning. Book is inspect ,clean & lube every 100 hrs.

Yeeaah Daddy!! I can't believe my boat. I dropped a new distributor in it today. Took it to the lake this evening to time and test. Set timing at 10 degrees and gave it a try. It jumped out the water so fast, i was hardly prepared. That was some of the best money I've spent on the boat yet. So with a new prop and distributor, I am purring. It has taken care of all the problems we were having. Thanks for all the advise and input, I learned a lot through this issue. Rpms at 4,300 and speed around 45

Glad it all worked out. The good thing is you now know your engine and drive line much better than the average boater and will be ready for the next adventure with respect to issues on the lake. The thing to remember is to never give up and check the basics first.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Which Distributor did you end up buying ? I am having similar issues. A mechanic I talked to thinks the intake manifold the PO put on is wrong and not handling the fuel properly. I haven't looked at the timing yet, but after reading this thread its the next things on my list to do...