Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: goofy question

Default goofy question

I ride a wakeboard and surfboard regular footed but my boat throws a much better goofy wave. Is riding a surfboard really that side specific? I'm having trouble staying in the pocket and I wonder if it is because my back is to the wave riding on the wrong side.

Yes, it makes a big difference.

Surfing is almost exclusively done with your hips, knees and ankles. Remove your ankles from that equation and you just made it (at least) 30% harder.

One of my best friends is a goofy surfer -- unfortunately, he's never owned or had access to a boat with a goofy wave. He's adapted and can surf as well as almost anyone on a regular wave while riding heel side. In fact, the one time we did get out on a goofy wave, he had no idea what he was doing.

I'd say he's the exception, though. You're going to have a tough time as a beginner learning how to surf that way. Regardless -- it took me about a year to "ride" the wave comfortably without the rope. Keep at it and you'll make progress eventually!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

You want your toes to the wave. Whenever i have my heals to the wave they are in the water and creating a lot of drag. That's probably why your having trouble with the pocket.
    Function before fashion!

Thanks guys, guess I need to work on my regular wave because I can't ride goofy at all on a surfboard.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtydawg View Post
    Thanks guys, guess I need to work on my regular wave because I can't ride goofy at all on a surfboard.
    you may want to try a wake shaper, me being goofy and my boat liking the regular side wake it made a big difference. with just a little kick it cleaned up the wake and lengthened it. But don't use very much kick or you will lose the push.
    Function before fashion!

I'm a goofy rider too, got tired of switching my boat back and forth seeing as how I was the only one of my buddies that rides goofy. Tried it regular with left foot forward and turned out I could do it just as good. Also was the first one to do a 360 and Ollie off the wake. Maybe try just riding the other way?
    2012 Sunsport 242 Worlds Edition

yeh, I think with some more practice I'll be able to ride switch. It only makes sense if I can on a wakeboard I should be able to surfing. My boat naturally favors goofy riders.

It's because of prop rotation. If you own a SN or a Mastercraft, you have a great regular wave, but the goofy wave is harder.

thats what I thought made the difference. Don't really want to attach any wake shaping device so I will try adding more ballast and just learn to ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalPR View Post
    It's because of prop rotation. If you own a SN or a Mastercraft, you have a great regular wave, but the goofy wave is harder.
    This is actually backwards. They naturally throw a goofy wave due to right hand prop rotation. Or it use to be this way.
    Function before fashion!