Threaded View

Default looking at 1998 Saltare ....please help

Alright guys, I currently own a 1987 Supra Marauder. Essentially it's the exact as the Sunsport, only it's closed bow and has the beast option. Chevy 454 with a 650 CFM Holly Carb. I've got a weak spot in the floor behind the driver's seat and the interior, although looks amazing from 10 feet away, is cracking at the seams. All original besides starter and a new Carb 2 years ago. She's leaning a bit in the water to the starboard side So I'm assuming the foam is saturated below the floor and she's just not popping out of the water like she used to or should...I love this boat, has a great wake and sounds amazing. A few spider cracks here and there. Usual areas, around the exhaust ports and one on the water line just imprint of the drivers window. Contemplated sending her to TN to get totally reworked, however I really wish it was an open bow.

Which leads me to my journey, BTW if and when I buy a new one the Marauder will be for sale!! Drove a few hours yesterday to look at a 1998 supra Saltare, beautiful boat from the OUTSIDE. Mirror finish, little to no scratches on the Hull. One gouge behind the fuel fill, looks like they nicked a dock while filling during wakes. It's got a brand new trans, upgraded from stock, new prop, prop shaft, trans oil cooler and all new hoses. Boasts the Chevy 350 with FUEL INJECTION. NADA says 330 hp, which is what my current 454 is rated as. Now I know these boats have composite stringers and the bottom of the seat cushions are composite as well. The interior is shot, and I mean shot. It's going to need all new vinyl due to not having a cover. Test drove the boat and she purrs, holeshot is very quick compared to my 454. NADA books the average retail of the boat for 19,000. This boat is priced fairly under that.

I'll need to add a tower, complete vinyl job, fix a couple gouges in the gunwhale, and it has a pretty bent tracking fin underneath as well, get a custom cover made, new gasket on the water pump since it's leaking, and other small misc items. I think the wake is a bit flatter than my Marauder and that saddens me a bit but I'm sure a little weight would help. The trailer, yeah it's practically mint condition!

So my questions are:

- What would a custom cover cost?
    - What would a complete, vinyl job cost on average?
    - What are some towers and costs?
    - Can this boat produce a good wake for wakeboarding, comparable to a sunsport or launch?
    - What type or can I still get a perfect pass for this boat?
    - Are the seat bases (not cushions ) wood or composite?
    - What are any known common problems with this boat?
    - what's it going to cost for all these upgrades.....
    - Finally what is it worth or hold out till I find a decent launch for 17-18G That needs less work ? I just lost out on a 99 launch for 15G and it was very nice!

Thanks for your insight all! I've got to figure out fast, I told the guy I'd get back to him in a couple days.
    Last edited by vvfdfirefighter; 07-22-2013 at 05:55 PM.