Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Owner stated, they rarely used the boat but maybe 5 times in the past few years. The interior is wrecked because the boat has had NO cover on it, besides a blue tarp they said. We all know how those tarps are.

For the running gear, the story was; They noticed the transmission slipping. Replaced the clutches in it and it didn't help. When they went to supra the OEM tranny was NLA and they had to upgrade to a newer style. Which, from what I understood meant the shaft had to be replaced as well. The rudder seems to be in good shape, I did jerk on it a few times and didn't feel any slack in it. I should have climed all the way under the boat and inspected the attachment of the tracking fin. Guess that would of told a lot but it was hot and it slipped my mind. I did lake test this boat. Had it out for about an hour. Didn't seem to be taking on any water. However the bilge was not empty prior to launching the boat. We previously ran the boat in his driveway and water from the hose was in the bilge. Due to inserting the hose into the trans cooler and letting the boat idle. I didn't notice hardly any scratches on the hull. Course if she hit something hard that might be because she was redone, too.

On the lake she tracks nice. A lot better than my maurader, which likes to torque steer with the throttle. This one didn't seem to do so. She did pop right out of the holeshot quite quick and planed out at around 45MPH. I did notice while driving straight, the steering wheel was upside down (supra logo) This engine has 330 HP which is the same HP for my 1987 454. So to me, i'm not losing HP from my boat to this one...although 395 would be nice, but my boat drinks fuel like its going out of style. I'm hoping the fuel injection helps that out.

When I went for a test ride, Owner suggested that I launch, drive and unlaunch the boat. Said he didn't have experience with inboards. Considering he backed the trailer down the ramp with a dock on its right side I agreed. We all know inboards torque steer in reverse. Had him reposition the trailer to the other side of the ramp, Side with the dock on the left and away we went. she idled smooth, but i did notice a diference in the shifter from mine. It doesn't click once when going into forward like mine when the transmission engages. so initially i pushed the shifter forward to feel the click but ended up giving it a little more than i expected and gave it a little too much. Sure different shifter i'm sure.

But I thank you all for the comments. Looks like I'll have to make another trip up there and look at her. I'll try to post all the pictures I have of it tomorrow or even tonight if i can get around to it. I'm not sold on the boat, i've still got my eyes open for others but I do like the Fuel injection, 23' open bow.
    Last edited by vvfdfirefighter; 07-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    The engine Cover.

No the engine cover is also Composite....same as on mine in the 87

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    No the engine cover is also Composite....same as on mine in the 87
    I mean the base the dog house sits on. Not the dog house itself
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by jasun View Post
    I mean the base the dog house sits on. Not the dog house itself
    Yes you are correct. That is wood. Thanks for reminding me of that.

His explanation re: the running gear makes sense to me. The "new style" couplers require a "new style" prop shaft and once you go that far you might as well do the prop. Tranny cooler should be replaced when you replace the transmission. I think the boat looks really nice and the price is right.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I may be too late, 20 days it's been listed and no often looked at it till me. Post about it online and someone is looking at in now, apparently with cash iin hand. If I miss out on another one I'm going to go crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    AFAIK, the Saltare is the same lower hull as the Launch 24SSV always used. So you know, that with the right ballast, wakeplate settings and configuration it can throw a very decent wakeboard wake and a great surf wake. On mine, the wakeplate makes all the difference in the world and if this ones has a hydraulic one that would be best. Does it?
    Nope, Launch and Saltare are different hulls. But it will still throw down with good weight.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    His explanation re: the running gear makes sense to me. The "new style" couplers require a "new style" prop shaft and once you go that far you might as well do the prop. Tranny cooler should be replaced when you replace the transmission. I think the boat looks really nice and the price is right.
    Yep, I agree. If that's true about the tranny replacement he should have paperwork to show it, or SC will have records of it. I'd confirm that it was a warranty failure, not a replacement purchase because he hit something. Bent fin, new tranny and shaft, that's sure is a coincidence. But I'm leery of most people and it takes a lot for me to give trust.

Don't worry about the cash in hand thing, that's an old tactic to hold on price. It may be true, it may not. But don't feel pressured by it. Whether he has cash in hand or not, he should still negotiate. I mean great the other guy has cash, was he going to pay with livestock? Offer him cash once you guys work out a number. Just say, I'll be paying cash, but we need to look at the price. Then you can decide whether or not to give in to his prices.

It is a nice boat, and if it all checks out about the transmission, and you are happy with it, only you can decide what's a fair price. Good luck man, keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Nope, Launch and Saltare are different hulls. But it will still throw down with good weight.

Yep, I agree. If that's true about the tranny replacement he should have paperwork to show it, or SC will have records of it. I'd confirm that it was a warranty failure, not a replacement purchase because he hit something. Bent fin, new tranny and shaft, that's sure is a coincidence. But I'm leery of most people and it takes a lot for me to give trust.

Don't worry about the cash in hand thing, that's an old tactic to hold on price. It may be true, it may not. But don't feel pressured by it. Whether he has cash in hand or not, he should still negotiate. I mean great the other guy has cash, was he going to pay with livestock? Offer him cash once you guys work out a number. Just say, I'll be paying cash, but we need to look at the price. Then you can decide whether or not to give in to his prices.

It is a nice boat, and if it all checks out about the transmission, and you are happy with it, only you can decide what's a fair price. Good luck man, keep us posted.

It wouldn't have been a warranty replacement if it's 15 years old would it. I'd assume it was a purchase. I would like to think it's a scare tactic, hate to think anyone on here would see these posts and run to get it after I'm trying to figure out the best route. However If it's meant to be it's meant to be. I'm having a bit of a difficult time convincing the other half to go for it. Why buy a boat and spend another 6G on it when you can buy a boat for 14? My reply, that boat at 14 will still need work. To get a hands free boat for the next 4years we'd be looking at spending 25,000+ . But good luck explaining that one ha.

So well see, I can't get back up that way for a few days. Guess we'll see how everything goes.

Who knows, fall is coming too. Guess I could find a deal then too

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    I'd buy in a heartbeat looking at ad. Now that I hear of tranny replace, shaft replace, bent skag, entire upholstery re-do etc., etc. I wouldn't give it a second glance. That's no scare tactic, that's just scary to wonder why so many issues?
    So you would or wouldn't buy it knowing what you've heard?