Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A few questions...

Hello all,

Joined a while ago, asked a few questions about my ski pylon in my 92 Comp last year. Well, have been tinkering with the boat some, I put the pylon back in and now at certain speeds it starts to vibrate. I don't recall it ever doing this before. Is this at all normal? I have already pulled our 3 person tube behind it (only 1 person in) and did some skiing since.

Also, I saw the in 1992 Supra (original Supra) made a few fully composite boats and offered lifetime warranty. Would this happen to apply to my 92 Comp? Those CCFan guys brag about how in 93 CC made ONLY the ski nautique fully composite, didn't know supra did that before them and on more boats!

EDIT: Also, would you guys happen to know what the "5000 Series" stands for?

But, my boat is still plenty loud making up for the silence of the CC, and plenty fun, although running time is limited due water conditions and we keep our 89 CC Martinique in full time and only take the Comp out once and a while.

Thanks,
    Joe
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

96Comp Guest

Welcome! I have a 96 Comp purchased from the original owner. Before purchasing, I called SC and confirmed composite hull. SC told me the Comp has been composite since '92. Some will tell you to look at the windshield shape (round vs square). Look at the VIN. 92 and later is what you want. I also confirmed this with Jim at Viper Customs. He helped design the boat. Not sure if Viper is still around. If so Jim has a lot of ideas how to restore or mod a Comp.

Never removed my pylon, but it does not vibrate. You might have a bad motor mount that is manifesting itself in the pylon.

I thought 92 was the crossover year early ones were wood and late were composite.

Someone asked a question on another post about the foam in the composite boats... Will it still hold water over time?
    86 Saltare

Ok. I have the Newer 2 piece round windshield. And the left side is Cracked! AH! I tried getting quotes from a few places but no one ever really sent me any emails back. Did find a place in FL though... But I'm afraid of the bill...

Still listening to anything anyone has to say.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1984 E-Scow

sounds like we have the same boat. i have had no issues with my pylon, i pulled 3 skiers last weekend with no vibrations. can you put some foam under the plate the screws into the floor around the pylon or are the vibrations sub floor? as far as windshields are concerned, better get the check book ready! if i find any more info. ill repost.
    good luck!
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM

oh yeah almost forgot...Lets see some pics!
    -Mike
    92 Supra Comp
    351 PCM

ugh. I too ashamed. The boat has become mine basically. lol. My dad bought it in 1994 up in NH and brought it to his family's house on Kueka lake. Since then He has just used it. Then me and my brother came along. It got used even more. Then we moved to Texas form 2001 to 2009 (one more brother). It got used once sometimes twice a year. Just sat through the Texas summers and light winters in our drive way. (poor thing) We then moved back to NY, 2 hours away from Keuka, and we used for 2009 and 2010. Fall 2010 we bought our CC, so it sat from fall 2010 to summer 2012 in our barn. The gel coat is badly oxidized. Has scratches. And the Decals are scratched up bad. The interior has seen better days. But, we did get the back reupholstered and we start customizing it last summer. This year we have taken it out 3 times (its out right now) along with our CC. We go to my grandmothers cottage and we have our own dock with two lifts. One for E-Scow and the other for the 2 boats.

Last summer we patched the exhaust chamber. We made a back wall so that we can remove the back seat and still have the ski locker cover in place. I rewired the ground under the dash, got new gauges. Replaced the switch panels and main gauge panels with carbon fiber panels. (looks like crap cause I can't cut worth crap really).

If you really want, I will post pics. But I'm going to be embarrassed.

1984 E-Scow

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I thought 92 was the crossover year early ones were wood and late were composite.
    I have heard the same thing, but have yet to see a wood 1992. So that will be one of those things we'll just have to wait and see. From that information, there is a very good chance the comp is composite in this discussion.

To the OP, many of our boats looked rough when they got them. But show us, it's always nice to see the before and after pictures. Plus, we might be able to help you with things we see to save you time, money, and energy.

Vibration in the pylon could be from damaged prop?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.