Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire Shred

Quote Originally Posted by inair View Post
    I have also seen on other web boards that folks have had some success using automotive tires with the appropriate load range. The tires that came on my trailer were load range C. I'm not a tire guy but have been told that the higher the load range the beefier the sidewall? Maybe that is the thing to try next......or maybe just move closer to the lake
    I'm not sure if it means specifically that the sidewalls are beefier, but it does mean that can support more weight. You can go to a D-load, and they'll likely last longer, but they'll also ride a little harder. I really don't think you need anything heavier duty than a C-load.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Tell me that after you curb it one time. I see two radial failures right here. That's two more radial failures than I've ever seen from Bias. Of course, I'm bias as mine only have twenty years on them and just returned from a 220 mile stint.
    That's because the new tires nowadays are all Made in China...

Your tires are probably made in USA. No issues with those...

The tires on my trailer are 10 years old, no dry rot, and I've never had an issue. I have a buddy that never had an issue till he bought new trailer tires. The ones he replaced were made in USA, the new ones now are Made in China...

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    Tell me that after you curb it one time. I see two radial failures right here. That's two more radial failures than I've ever seen from Bias. Of course, I'm bias as mine only have twenty years on them and just returned from a 220 mile stint.
    They just don't make them like they used to, Period. Those old trailer tires use 150% more rubber and banding in the building process compared to the other ones. New tires after 5 years are ticking time bombs. I generally loose 1-2 trailer tires per year. That's with no rot and proper inflation.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    I'm not sure if it means specifically that the sidewalls are beefier, but it does mean that can support more weight. You can go to a D-load, and they'll likely last longer, but they'll also ride a little harder. I really don't think you need anything heavier duty than a C-load.
    My tires are D-Load on my single axle trailer under the comp. They actually ride better in my opinion than the old C-Load tires that failed and got replaced.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I put some E load tires on my single axle. I never want the tires to even be close to overloaded. They won't be with the E's.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

That's my thinking as well. I always go with as high a load rating as possible. Stiffer all around and that can't be a bad thing on a trailer in my mind anyway.

Kevin Allen

at least 3 times a year, I trailer my boat 600 miles each way to lake powell -- I don't mess around with old tires, or not-properly-rated tires. I do hate the low profile
    rims/tires that Supra put on my trailer ... too hard to find replacements (even at home).

I realize for most folks, the mileage I put on my trailer in one trip is more than they will do in YEARS - but that's what I have been doing for 15+ years.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

On average, how long do you guys go between swapping out your tires? Also what tire pressure are you running based on your boat size? Just curious.
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4

I swap them out when they start blowing or have bad wear patterns. I pressurize them to the maximum cold PSI which changes depends on the load range. Mine is 50 psi.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Mine are right at 48psi with max load at 50psi cold. I always check the tires before I leave the house and I have not had to add any air in the last 12 months or more.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski