Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Picked up an 87 supra comp for free....kinda

I had a friend of mine give me his 87 comp a few days ago...kinda. He bought the boat last year only to have it break down on him on the lake. His first trip to the lake he thought the starter went out so he put a new one on it. The boat started so he took it to the lake. However, he ended up being towed back again. He took it home replaced the batteries and it started. Back to the lake only to be towed back again. He took it to a boat mechanic who discovered the heads were cracked. He tells the "mechanic" to rebuild the motor. Within a day or two the motor is torn down. Four months later the motor is still apart and after hearing every excuse in the book he calls me. We ended up rebuilding the motor. This is where it gets fun. We had the motor up on a fork lift ready to install it. Someone hits the wrong lever and the motor ends up on the ground with a busted oil pan and water pump. This is when my friend said he was done with the boat. His plan was to burn it down. However, after about an hour I talked some sense into him and we when back to work on it. We were working on the boat in my grandfather's garage but decided to tow it to my shop. During the trip the wheel bearing locked up. This was his last straw. He said either he was giving me the boat or leaving it on the side of the road. He unhooked his truck and said if I wanted it I could tow it back or leave it for someone else to get. After fixing the wheel bearing i got about two miles down the road before the other wheel bearing locked up. I finished installing the motor last weekend and got it started. Hopefully I will hhave chance to water test it this week.

Sounds like a sweet deal, or a money pit, or both lol. But hey you can't complain about a free boat. One of the best boats I ever owned was free. I pulled it out of a field. Good luck on the water test, let us know how it goes. Post some pics. I'm jealous. I wish I had friends like yours...

Yes, this boat sounds cursed, get rid of the demons, treat her right and have fun with it. And remember to grease the wheel bearings on the trailer. There's nothing worse than sitting on the side on I90 with you barefoot nautique on a one wheeled trailer because you forgot to grease the wheel bearings.... Except
    sinking because your bilge pump doesn't work.

Everything seems to work including the bilge pump. It starts on the first try and idles smooth. I'm currently rebuilding the driver seat then I will put her on the water

Boat reminds me of the car "Christine" ... I too second the exorcism. Enjoy the boat and welcome to the forum.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Talk nice to her. Yeah I talk to my boats.....you don't? Love'em and they'll love ya back. Curse them, and they will curse you, and win.

Let's see some pics of the new demon boat.

Sounds like a series of bad luck compounded by neglect by the prior owner (prior to your friend). I'm sure you'll have little issues to deal with but as you touch each thing, you'll know now that it's one less thing to worry about. Like the trailer bearings, haha.

I talk to mine almost daily. Haugy is right, you have to treat em nice and love em. WHERE'S THE PICS???

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    Boat reminds me of the car "Christine" ... I too second the exorcism. Enjoy the boat and welcome to the forum.
    I just shuddered when I read this... We have a "Christine" airplane at work...hate seeing that tail number on my pairings... It's always a matter of what is wrong and what is going to act up!

As for the OP, my boat was also in serious disrepair when I purchased it. I blew out a tire on the side of the road towing it home after purchasing it. Of course the boat did not have a spare so that was a great way to start off. But, I have slowly addressed almost all the issues now like, rewiring the entire boat from bow to stern, full tune up on the engine, new upholstery, new springs and tires on the trailer, new lights (all LEDs), new bunks, new switch breakers...the list goes on from there. End of the day, I now have a reliable boat that purrs and when I throw the hammer down, it will get up and go like none other and turn heads doing it.
    Last edited by Jetlink; 07-30-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    and when I throw the hammer down, it will get up and go
    Well no wonder your throttle is messed up, quit hitting it with a hammer. Jeez, what did it ever do to you?