Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toyota Epic X22

Like others have already said, there is something to be said for not running something mechanical like a boat engine at capacity. De-rated motors whether intentionally that way by manufacturer limitation or by operator choices has shown to reflect longer life span on engines and healthier ones at that. Personally, I will gladly take a bigger engine that does not need to run at maximum capacity routinely to accomplish the amount of work I am demanding from it. 6.0 V-8 in my tow rig, I get 12-15 miles per gallon towing my boat but I am never over revving the engine to get the ensemble moving or keep it moving, even going up hill. I can buy a ton of gas for the cost of a drivetrain repair or even worse replacement which was the driving force behind getting a dedicated tow rig to haul our boat around instead of using my wife's daily driver.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

ECO Boost will fit into the 6.0 Power Stroke category of reliability in time. Myself if something is running in the 70-90% capacity of power production something is going to give. The engineers of Ford are building for fuel mileage in mind rather than longevity IMO. I'll have stuck to the older diesels of the 90's for most of my trucks. My Ford L7000 tanker truck which can haul 2400gal averages 15mpg. Its powered by a 5.9L Cummins which is one of the best drive lines ever.

Buy the Toyota, pull the driveline replacing it with a 350EFI from a newer boat. Parts can be hard to find but anything is repairable, you just have to work harder to fix it.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

I just like my old 454 because it sounds just rat effing nasty idling there at the dock, and the looks from people is just priceless.

MORE POWER!!! AUGH AUGH AUGH AUGH *tim taylor*

Quote Originally Posted by beat taco View Post

I didn't see how it could be more efficient.
    For comparison here's someone with a similar boat nad traditional SBF power, granted newfangled fuel injection but EFI and carb GPH should be nearly identical.

My boat is just slightly out of your date range (1995 Ski), but has the GT-40 engine. I have kept pretty detailed logs on fuel usage since 2010. The boat runs 90% slalom between 32 to 36 mph, 5% barefoot runs, and very infrequently a joyride. Very rarely is the boat just idling for any period of time.

With that in mind, here are my numbers (approx. 50 hours per year). I'd be curious to see what others are getting.
    2010: 3.89 gph
    2011: 4.37 gph
    2012: 5.16 gph (one faulty spark plug most of the year)
    2013: 4.47 gph
    http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/for...iency-question

Going by that chart the CC with SBF power may actually be more fuel efficient since those are his averages predominantly running 32-36 while pulling a skier. Small torqueless engines will burn about the same fuel and perform much worse in a high load application such as a tow boat, especially a wake boat. Running with a light load or nobody riding behind the boat, the smaller engine will typically be more economical. That disappears while under load. I've seen it plenty of times in trucks which while towing can see similar loads as a boat.

My boat, a Saltare with 454, gets about 6-7 GPH depending on usage, people, weight, how many falls, etc. That's strictly riding the only idling is picking up riders. 22 MPH +-2 MPH and 400-800 lbs ballast. I could probably drop a few jet sizes but I haven't found the time to dial in my jetting yet. That would obviously decrease fuel consumption. I'd be amazed if that little toy car engine got any better fuel consumption in my boat for my uses and I guarantee it would be turning a lot more than the 2300 RPM mine turns at riding speed. I know we have a few guys here with 454 Saltares and at least one with a 351w Saltare. I'd be curious to compare fuel consumption under similar conditions. The same with small block and big block SunSports or any other model.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    I just like my old 454 because it sounds just rat effing nasty idling there at the dock, and the looks from people is just priceless.

MORE POWER!!! AUGH AUGH AUGH AUGH *tim taylor*
    x2 on the looks from people at the dock. Or better yet the fear in the eyes of a first time skier when you start the boat and their connected to it by a rope.

haha. How many of you guys go behind a cigarette with twin 454's? Nothing like it, chest pounding power. Our friends 28ft Scarab has Twin Mercruiser 454's, 4 3.5" stainless exhaust that sits high above the water. love the start up on that thing. Does 75 mph down the lake.

People we just met, have a Scarab with Twin Mercruiser 502's. each equipped with a Whipple Super Charger, 700 hp each! Does 96mph down the lake. Both boats sound amazing... I want
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Default Toyota Epic X22

They still make epic boats in Louisiana I believe but they use small and big block v8s now. The president of our wake board club has one

As far as engines, this is the first place I have ever seen anyone talking about how they question the reliability of the ecoboost. Everyone I know that has one loves it and tows many miles with them on a regular basis. They should be fairly reliable motors considering advancements in materials and manufacturing processes. Many old sbf and sbc motors are running cast cranks and rods while the Eco is all forged I think. The engine is built to handle the load and it doesn't turn alot of rpm. The Hemi in my truck turns more rpm towing than an ecoboost.

Also boats are running new technology engine, maybe not the base line engine but the optional engines include corevette LS motors and even the ctsV motor. They are all fuel injected nowadays and run emission control systems.
    Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by rdlangston13; 08-04-2013 at 03:44 AM.
    2008 Moomba Mobius LSV. Full Exile System. Can you hear me now?

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    I go to a small sand bar (15-30 boats) and they are mainly pontoons. Yesterday when we were leaving i was in the water pulling the auger and my nephew started the boat and I think the 30 people behind the boat all snapped their heads at once. Good Feeling.
    86 Saltare

Quote Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
    They still make epic boats in Louisiana I believe but they use small and big block v8s now. The president of our wake board club has one
    Today's Epic boats have nothing to do with Toyota's Epic boat of the late 90's, early 2000s. They are not the same company or related in any way. I'd post a few links but the forums don't let me...

I rode behind Darin Shapiro's Epic in 1999 or 2000 during that year's waterski convention (or whatever it was called) in Orlando. The thing I remember is not the engine or interior, but Darin peeing in his shorts on the swim platform, instead of jumping in the water to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by 92SupraComp View Post
    haha. How many of you guys go behind a cigarette with twin 454's? Nothing like it, chest pounding power. Our friends 28ft Scarab has Twin Mercruiser 454's, 4 3.5" stainless exhaust that sits high above the water. love the start up on that thing. Does 75 mph down the lake.

People we just met, have a Scarab with Twin Mercruiser 502's. each equipped with a Whipple Super Charger, 700 hp each! Does 96mph down the lake. Both boats sound amazing... I want
    This thing buzzes us while we surf most nights. 20 year old kid. Twin 1350s. He also owns an X-Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEeAmwtziSM
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.