Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tranny troubles

Default Tranny troubles

Well here it is in a nutshell. We were out on the lake and having a great day when suddenly all went from good to bad. I was at a stand still and put the boat in gear, accelerated out of the hole and heard a ping sound, stopped the boat but everything seemed ok, so I continued across the lake. One minute later I lost my tranny! Got boat towed in and trailered the boat to a mechanic. What he found was a piece if the tranny case had cracked and popped off, causing it To lose all the fluid into the hull, and piled up the transmission. He says there is a few things that could have contributed to this fail, vibration, low fluid, overheated, ect ect. Has this happened to anyone else? What suggestions for repairs? I'm thinking this is going to be very costly, so any insight would be appreciated.
    2005 Supra Launch 22SSV

I would look into the price of a new transmission from www.skidim.com

I know mine would have been $1500. But yours is a vdrive and I don't know what tranny you'd have...
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Pull the trans and find the piece which pooped off. I bet the internals are fine you just need the piece welded back on. It might work and it might not, one thing is for sure the weld repair will be a fraction of the cost of replacing the trans. There are some very talented welders out there, cast metal should be easy for one of these guys.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Agree with DAFF. Any engine machine shop should be able to repair it for you and I'd buy a rebuild kit and take it in there with it. Have them do the seals/bearings and inspect the gears. Will certainly be cheaper than replacement.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

That depends. On mine, the rebuild and seal kits were about $500 total from Skidim. But that didn't include stuff like the needle bearings or any of the special tools to be able to service it (pullers and stuff referenced in the service manual). A rebuild on mine was $900 from Fantastic Finishes marine in Medina Ohio. You can ship a tranny UPS or Fedex ground. They turned it around in 3 business days. A new transmission would have been $1500 for mine. I got a crazy good deal on shipping through my work. If you have to get your tranny welded, then pay to have it rebuilt, and shipping, you're probably getting closer to the price of a new one, with easily 3 weeks of downtime.

I had a bitch of a time finding anyone that was willing to even touch a marine tranny.

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Well i finally got the family home from the lake last night and got time to look into my problem. So i believe after getting in there, that the mechanic i had look at the boat at the lake never had a flipping clue. i dug into the situation tonight on my own because i find it hard to believe the tranny was piled up, and what i found was the piece of cast that he had found actually came from the side of the bell housing as i would call it, and the transmission and v-drive was totally fine. everything moves in tune just as it should. so i think my shaft sheared where the transmission connects to the motor. im wondering if this is a spline, shear pin, or key way where they meet? so what ever snaped must have hit the housing right infront of the starter causing the piece to get busted off. so any info on this connection would be appriciated. and also thanks for all the quick repies this group of supra members have helped me more than once and continue to entertain me.
    2005 Supra Launch 22SSV

I think we'll need photos to help. I'm having a hard time picturing what is broken....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

so what was the fluid? regardless of if things turn by hand, if they were run dry ( tranni or engine) your looking at a rebuild.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I think we'll need photos to help. I'm having a hard time picturing what is broken....
    Pics are always good. But bellhousings can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    so what was the fluid? regardless of if things turn by hand, if they were run dry ( tranni or engine) your looking at a rebuild.
    ^^^^ THIS.

Damper plate broke?

Kevin Allen