Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Clockwise vs CCW, LH vs RH, Standard vs Reverse? Help me get this down once & for all

Okay, so I am trying to get this down, because different parts sellers will reference things differently.

So please help me with this.

There is ENGINE rotation (useful for buying parts that bolt on the engine like starters, alternators, etc) and there is PROP rotation, right?

So for mine, would it be:

Engine
    Left hand rotation
    Standard rotation
    Counter Clockwise rotation

So does that mean that my propshaft would be the opposite??? Help me fill in the blanks and confirm so I don't someday order the wrong stuff.

Prop
    Right hand rotation???
    Reverse Rotation??? <--do they even use this term when talking about props???
    Clockwise rotation???

Thanks. I get confused about this too easily and I know it should be pretty simple.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

What you have to do is rather simple.

First make sure it's the Autumnal equinox, which should be close so you're good. Don't do the spring equinox as it will be upside down. Now, take you first born, and stand them on their head. Put them facing North while they face the prop. Then find a virgin chicken, and then sprinkle it with Paprika from the Mountains of Tibet. Once you have done that, then sing the last line of Shama-lama ding dong, and then a small muchkin will appear. At that time the munchkin will then tell you which direction it turns.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    What you have to do is rather simple.

First make sure it's the Autumnal equinox, which should be close so you're good. Don't do the spring equinox as it will be upside down. Now, take you first born, and stand them on their head. Put them facing North while they face the prop. Then find a virgin chicken, and then sprinkle it with Paprika from the Mountains of Tibet. Once you have done that, then sing the last line of Shama-lama ding dong, and then a small muchkin will appear. At that time the munchkin will then tell you which direction it turns.

Good luck.
    I didn't realize it was that easy. Are you saying that I won't need the 47 virgins now?

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Oh good you already have the 47 virgins! The munchkin will only tell you the answer if you give him the virgins
    1991 SunSport

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Okay, so I am trying to get this down, because different parts sellers will reference things differently.

So please help me with this.

There is ENGINE rotation (useful for buying parts that bolt on the engine like starters, alternators, etc) and there is PROP rotation, right?

So for mine, would it be:

Engine
    Left hand rotation
    Standard rotation
    Counter Clockwise rotation

So does that mean that my propshaft would be the opposite??? Help me fill in the blanks and confirm so I don't someday order the wrong stuff.

Prop
    Right hand rotation???
    Reverse Rotation??? <--do they even use this term when talking about props???
    Clockwise rotation???

Thanks. I get confused about this too easily and I know it should be pretty simple.
    Left hand rotation is standard rotation, also the same rotation as an automobile engine. Standard rotation, when looking at the front will rotate to the right (clockwise), when looking at it from the prop it will turn left (counterclockwise ).

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...9146#post99146

Take a look at the 5th post down. I posted about this in another post about starters. There's a picture I refer to a lot.

Thank you for that reference! I saved it, I know it will come in handy!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

not a problem. Hope that answered some of your question!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    Left hand rotation is standard rotation, also the same rotation as an automobile engine. Standard rotation, when looking at the front will rotate to the right (clockwise), when looking at it from the prop it will turn left (counterclockwise ).

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...9146#post99146

Take a look at the 5th post down. I posted about this in another post about starters. There's a picture I refer to a lot.
    Thanks, that does help. So, I guess that means my starter is CW. Circled in blue.

Last edited by trayson; 08-10-2013 at 01:49 AM.

Default Re: Clockwise vs CCW, LH vs RH, Standard

If your starter motor is tucked up beside you engine then, Yes.

Sent frim my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

Oh good you already have the 47 virgins! The munchkin will only tell you the answer if you give him the virgins
    I can be a munchkin!!!!!!!!!!