Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Surfing behind a 21V...what the heck is wrong?

I've surfed behind many boats and I've been surfing for 7 years. I used to own a 2000 Launch (DD) and I had a pretty killer surf wake with it loaded right. I've made old boats throw big good wakes too, like old Nautiques and stuff, that we thought would never make a good wake.

So my new friend that I met while selling my boat (who I think is a member here so I'm surprised he hasn't mentioned anything yet, no idea what is user ID is though) just bought a 2006 21V about the same time I bought my Moomba LSV. I went riding with him last weekend on his boat. Great wakeboard wake as I expected, very similar feel to my old Launch.

However, THE SURF WAKE DOES NOT EXIST! Why is that? We had about 1200 up under the playpen and 750 in the rear left locker. I thought for sure that would be good, but it was terrible. We then added 650 on top of the left seats. A little bigger but still terrible! We emptied the front to maybe 400 or so because I thought maybe we weren't biased toward the back enough. Still bad. We could not get an acceptable surf wake out of the boat! I tried speeds anywhere between 9.5 and 11.5. The only thing I didn't try was the wakeplate because it wasn't working, was stuck at 50%. That's where I had mine on my old Launch anyway, so I figured no big deal.

Any thoughts? I was absolutely shocked.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV
    replaced 2000 Supra Launch

I'd empty the front and try with some more people/weight in the back. Weight in front = longer wave with more push, weight in back = steeper, more surfable wave with a shorter pocket.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Yup, I understand the dynamics and definitely agree with you.

That's why we emptied the front way down and added the 650 to the left seats. I even had his wife drive so he could sit on the very back corner, feet on the deck. Not really any better.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Try to move your rear weight to the right locker. If you don't ride goofy, it won't work but the wave should be nicer.
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Yeah I agree with that. Not much of a point since he rides regular, and so do I. Out of everybody I have ever surfed with over the last 7 years, I've probably only had 3 goofy riders on my boat. Ironically one of them was just the other day, we had a new rider with us that was goofy. My boat definitely makes a wake easier on the right side.

Usually a goofy wake is easier to make on a LH rotational prop (since the rotation of the prop helps list the boat), however in my experience I think this wake is too far off from being good for it to make enough of a difference. I agree that it would be better, but I can't imagine it would be "good" based on what I've seen.
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Default Surfing behind a 21V...what the heck is wrong?

I have a 2006 21v and it seems to be decent with 750 in the back corner, a few people on the seat, and about 400 in the front with plate half down. Speed at 11ish.

If his pp system is factory, he may be having the same problem as I am with speed fluctuating a couple mph up and down. I noticed the surf wake gets really washed out when it drops below 11, but firms up when the speed comes bak to 11. It's really inconsistent. According to pp, it requires a drive by wire upgrade as that is what should have been originally installed but manufacturer cheaper out.

I didn't feel the boat fluctuating in speed, and he had stargazer recently installed so it wasn't a factory installation. I fluctuated the speed lol, because I was trying every speed possible to try and get it to clean up!
    2006 Moomba Mobius LSV

Have the same boat had the same problem finally have good consistent wave front 1180 bag full,left rear 750 full, I cut out the cooler and put the 370 tube sac there, the tube sac seemed to be the key at 11mph and wake plate in any position good clean wave with rider and driver every time more passengers better wave
    Last edited by spydermonkey; 08-15-2013 at 02:09 AM.

I've got a launch 21v and got the wake fairly decent on the left side running 750 full back left. 400 full on top of the flap for the 750. Another 400 in the playpen standing up as far left as possible and the center 1100 full. With a couple people sitting on the left side I run around 10.8 to 11.2 and fine tune with the wake plate. I'm going to change the setup next time I'm home for some more weight on the left side.

Can you post a picture from the "bad" wake?