Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Motor decisions.....

In the middle of trying to revive the 88 Saltare I ran into a little snag. The 454 was recently rebuilt prior to me getting the boat because of a cracked block, but had some issues. Started getting a tick from the top end so I pulled valve cover and everything seemed good. But still had tick. Being a little nervous about the motor I decided to pull it and tear it down for inspection. Found a bent push rod plus, rod and main bearings shot. Luckily no spun bearings. So hopefully, get the crank turned, new bearings and seals, the bottom end should be done. The top end is where I am a little undecided on. Everything intake wise is stock. I am thinking of possibly going with a Edelbrock kit (carb, intake, cam). Versus sticking with the old manifold, carb and new cam. Also probably going to do a little vanity work also and get the exhaust powder-coated. But never mind that. Who has any recommendations on intake set ups? Stick with stock and rebuild the holley? Go with the Edelbrock kit? Anything else out there? My end goal is to have a smooth running boat that has plenty of low end power, low maintenance, and an engine that looks as good as it runs.

My boast came to me with an Edelbrock Performer intake and an Edelbrock 650cfm carb. I've never had a moment of problem with either of them.....
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Holley people will say rebuild...

I had the 4160 on my salt and am never so happy to have put the Eldelbrock on it. I dont have the intake, but have had 0 issues (knocking on wood) with the Edelbrock. Runs smooth and no maintenance.
    86 Saltare

EFI - Would be very slick. I bet it would be in the same price range too. As for the cam I would leave it stock.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

I have to admit, i am still running the stock intake and holly on my 454, but my fist power upgrades to it would be an Eldelbrock performer intake and 750cfm carb. i put the performer intake, cam and carb on my olds 455 and it woke it right up. i've run Eldelbrocks in place of holley's on a few other V8's, i'd dump the holley any day over a well tuned Eldelbrock, difference is night and day imo...
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

I would do some performance improvements while it's apart. Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 750 CFM double pumper, and Comp marine cam (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl11-232-3). I wouldn't run an Edelbrock, just not as good of a design as Holley for getting max power and quick and easy tunability. Don't listen to the Holley bashers, they're replacing clapped out 20-30 year old Holleys which likely have worn base plates, maybe not rebuilt recently, if rebuilt wear items may not have been replaced, etc. with brand new Edelbrock and of course driveability will improve. Personally all my vehicles are big blocks and have Holleys, trouble free operation.

I would also do some head work while it's apart. Port the heads. I'm a Ford guy so can't tell you where the 454 heads on these boats need the most work but I'd focus on the bowl area and work the short turn to make it more gentle. Check on some Chevy forums to find out exactly what needs work and how close you are to water. It's free horsepower, every engine I build gets at least a mild port cleanup.

I'll plug myself a bit here, but if you need a carb I have a low hours rebuilt 800 CFM Holley marine double pumper for sale. 800 is a little overkill but I run an 800 on my Saltare with 454 and it performs well.

Default Motor decisions.....

How's the fuel bill with that 800?

About 5 GPH Saturday mostly running ~22 MPH. I was kind of shocked as it's usually 6 and change. Did not run any ballast though and 1/4 of our riding was with a kid at 18 MPH. I figure the slower speed pulling the kid lowered fuel consumption. This is also the first time I ran my hours and gallons since getting a new prop, Acme 13x12 3 blade. I'm sure I could shave a bit off the GPH by jetting leaner as I ballparked the jetting and plugs look right so have spent my time riding rather than tuning, but I should dial it in some time.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Don't listen to the Holley bashers,
    Im not bashing Holley... Just saying my experience. I have also yet to hear of someone having trouble with an Edelbrock and fixing it by switching to a Holley... Just saying...
    86 Saltare

I'm not bashing holley's cadunkle, i have a freshly rebuilt holley on my Sunsport and it works great, never a hiccup or a stumble (after i got done tuning it, the p/o didn't know carbs). if i want all out power, Holley may be a better choice. But if im not at a drag strip, and im not concerned about the extra 3hp i MIGHT get at WOT, I'll take the smooth power application and driveablilty of an Eldelbrock carb. plus i dont spill gas all over if i need to change a needle or jet, and i bet i can change them faster on My Edelbrock than on my Holley.

I wouldnt bother with a cam change unless you plan on a better intake and carb to take advantage of the bigger cam. The link that cadunkle provided looks like a good choice, bigger than stock but not too big. if the heads are off then a little backyard pocket porting could give you some extra power. Be careful, i've seen people ruin their heads because they didn't know what they were doing when it comes to porting. If you don't have the heads off, and dont plan on removing them, id leave it be for now. you should be able to see a decent power increrase with cam, intake and carb upgrades.....
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4