Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Neglected Supra 1992 Comp ready to start restoration

Hi everyone,

I am a new member and have what I know to be a Supra and believe to be a comp model ski boat. I have neglected the boat for the 10 years I have owned it other than having the engine serviced, which is about the only thing that works! I have basically left it in a warehouse for 50 weeks a year and used it for 2 weeks skiing on holiday. I have some time now as my employers have put me on 6 months gardening leave so I intend to give it some TLC.
    Reading the threads it sounds like I should start with taking up the floor and seeing what is rotten? It does take in a little bit of water when moored overnight but drains down and is kept in dry storage.
    Sealing up where the water gets in?
    Replace and glass in the wood.
    Remove the instruments and check the connections. The speedos do not work as I believe the little pipes that come out of the back of the boat have broken off and are probably blocked.
    The rev counter just doesnt work!
    The lights do not work, but I ski on a river and do not use it for anything other than skiing so not to bothered about them.
    Some of the upholstery is ripped. The 3 back seat cushions and the drivers cushion.
    I also need to remove the decals and spray the red stripe down the side as its very Matt, will this polish up?
    It is a nice flat waked ski boat but my son who is now 24 likes to wakeboard as well as slalom, what would you suggest here, a tower, some kind of removable ballast?
    Any suggestions on the way to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I am British, live in Switzerland and the boat is in South West France! If anyone knows any suppliers in the Toulouse area that would be great!

Thanks in anticipation, Colin
    Attached Images Attached Images

is that really a 92 Comp Classic? What are the last 2 digits of the hull ID?

Also, I'm in the same boat, lol. My parents bought our comp in 94. All that we have done is used it. Still runs great, and everything works fine, just needs lots of love. We are getting the upholstery redone. Etc...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

I honestly do not know. Where are the hull ID digits? I will have to look next time I am in France.

My muffler ( I take it that is an exhaust silencer? ) Is also not very well, the engine backfired and it blew up! I think it may have loosend over parts of the exhaust which may be causing the leak!

How do you find out the spec as you have detailed above? I just bought it as it looked OK and ran well. It has been a great boat for the 10 years I have had it given that I have neglected it.

Given the age (1992) it is more than likely is composite with a square windshield. To be certain check the floor boards and seat backings and compare with the hull identification number on the right side of the transom near the rub rail.

As for the rest of the issues they are mostly wiring and very common with age. The majority of these sound like there is no ground at the helm, causing the instrument and lighting faults. Give her some love she deserves it. These boats are timeless in style and look so great in the water. As for sacking it out and making a wake board boat out of it it can be done but the Comp has its limitations.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

It does have a 2 piece square windscreen with triangular side screens that open it has a wooden floor, does that mean its an older boat than I believe? Thanks for the advice on the wiring. I understand what you say about letting the boat do what it is designed to do, it is a great slalom ski boat.

Is there a good supplier who would ship parts to europe from the US or should I try and find someone locally? The ignition failed last year and cost me 1700 euros, about $2200 to replace as I was told there were no parts available due to its age. I have no idea if this was reasonable or not?

Maybe you should check out Skidim.com

I think you got ripped off on the ignition. Skidim is expensive on some things and reasonable on others and they have the ignition retrofit kit for $549USD.
    http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RK107025A

And since I have friends that are ford mechanics, I could get my stuff retrofitted to a distributer if I wanted for less than half that. There are many things that are direct swaps with Fords on these engines. For example, SKIDIM wanted $129 for a ring gear for the flywheel. I was able to go to my local auto parts store and source one for $22.

But for you, Skidim could be a fantastic asset. Also maybe try iboats? http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Hi Colin,

It seems we have almost identical boats (mines a 1990, based in UK) same colour though too. I've been lucky in that the boat is new to me but has been looked after to some degree so no major repairs (yet). Will be keen to see how your restoration progresses.
    Cheers,
    Oli
    1990 Comp TS6M

Thanks for the links they will prove really helpful to me in the future I am sure, with the price differences it would be as cheap to fly over and bring them back in my luggage! I think I need to find out everything I need and get an order into them.

Hi Oli, the links above will be brilliant for us when it comes to parts. Where do you ski? I used to be a member at White Cross on the Ouse but moved the boat to Moissac on the Tarn in France a great little ski club with a slalom course and jump.

Cheers, Colin

Quote Originally Posted by colindawson View Post
    Thanks for the links they will prove really helpful to me in the future I am sure, with the price differences it would be as cheap to fly over and bring them back in my luggage! I think I need to find out everything I need and get an order into them.
    Well, I hope they help. I looked at Skidim and it appears that they ship internationally. There is a drop down where you can choose about any country in the checkout screen. Also, I would encourage you to use their tech support at Skidim. They have guys there that are AMAZING in their knowledge of how to do stuff. One of them Vince used to have a Supra Comp, so he would be a great one to talk to if you ran into problems.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.