Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Average voltage when boat is running?

I have a 2011 21v. My voltage gauge always shows 12, never higher, never lower. Every vehicle I've ever had has some fluctuation in the voltage. In fact, most of my cars run around 14v when the engine is running. Do all Supra's just show 12 all the time or is there something strange with my boat?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

My 2008 generally shows close to 14 ... but you have a LOT more "electronics and computers" in between the batteries and the display than i do.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

My 2005 shows around 13.5! I've been worried that it was too high. Guess its about right. But I am pretty much stock.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp

My 21v 2008 - 13.9 to 14.2

There was just another thread on here in the last few days about voltage - and how to measure it looking for drops.
    I would suggest you measure at the points they suggest (at least the ones you have, such as across the battery) and see
    that you do have the voltage that all are suggesting, and you are used to.

Perhaps some boob programming the computers decided that 12v means 12 and that people have a hard time realizing that
    when it's at 12 you're already in trouble - but fixed the display at 12? Who knows, you know how the computer programmers are ... (guess what "I" do
    for a living).

Todd

people, NEVER TRUST THE GAUGE! always measure with a volt meter at the battery. If you rewire your boat(s) as I have, then you will get 14 volts at the gauge...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Analog gauges are fine for normal monitoring, but for diagnosing a potential problem, a digital volt meter is the only way to go.

1st thing I would do is take a volt meter to the back of the gauge both with and without the engine running and get a reading and compare is to what is read at the battery. If there is a huge voltage drop, you may be looking at a poor connection or failing cable. You may also discover that nothing is wrong, its just the nature of the beast with an analog gauge.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Michael,

I am guessing that a 2011 has no ANALOG gauges, and that even the ones that might "look" analog are likely fed
    by the computer. Just guessing, since all I have is an ANCIENT 2008, where there are a LOT of things that look analog but
    are not.

But - using the DVM is the only sure way to go, that is certain.

Todd

Todd,

I do not know what every year model of ever model of every boat manufacturer has. If it has a needle, its analog, regardless of where its signal comes from. So my comments where meant as a generalization. If the gauge is digital and has a readout that shows 2 places to the left of the decimal and 2 places to the right and shows no higher then 12.00V, then the above advice is still relevant. Start at the gauge's input and work back to the source until the voltage is found.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

wylie. No, my 2007 Suburban has 6 gauges, they are digital. The have a needle that moves, but, they are digital. They are stepping motors that the computer can trace the location of. Pure digital control, nothing analogue. So, just because there is a needle, doesn't mean analogue.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow