Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

92Supra,

Your 07 tow truck gauges are not stepping motor, its called PWM. If the needle is mechanical, as opposed to an LCD, dot-matrices or other digital readout, then the gauge is analog. There is a huge difference between a mechanical needle moving across hash marks and a digital readout.

But to get back on topic, we are discussing the gauge in ryangtn's boat, not your truck.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I need to check this also, I noticed Saturday at the lake that the gauge shows 12 volts all the time- I do believe it should read 14 when the engine is running, at least running should be higher than 12 volts. I am going to check like everyone stated on here with my DVOM in case the gauge is just ' like that' and does not reflect the alternator charging the battery. My alternator looks suspect to me, as we bought the boat used with 300 hours and it was on it then...not sure if it is even a marine alt. And Michael is correct- if it has a needle it is an analog gauge, decimals and it is a digital gauge.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

If your boat has always shown 12 volts when running its fine. Our Supra and CC both showed 10volts not running 12 volts running. Our CC has 810 hours, and our comp, has at least 1700+ hours. Both original motors, alts, everything. Except the comp, it no longer has GT40P heads, other than that original. The alt might look suspect, but, they work fine. I rewired both boats last year, and now they show 14 volts running, 12 volts not...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

I appreciate all of the great feedback on this. I will definitely be looking into the wiring and running some additional tests. Thanks again!

Do your initial measurement at the battery. 12.7 volts is desirable for a fully charged battery with engine off.
    Engine idling should increase voltage above 12.7 volts which indicates charging, still at the battery posts. Now you have a baseline. Any measurements at gauges, choke heater wires, alternator output wire etc. will now add to your understanding of wire and connection condition. RPM does have some effect even on an alternator so voltage up to 14 is also normal for healthy charging, especially after an engine start-up.

Default Average voltage when boat is running?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378418732.300153.jpg

If you zoom in on the first gauge on the left, this is my boat running. Stuck on 12v.

On my 03 Launch the voltage gauge is 12 on start up and will hold there until the RPM exceeds 1500... The needle shoots up just under the 14 volts mark. Many gauges have read incorrectly over time. The best way to test voltage is with a independent voltage tester period.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

DAFF, i think you alt needs looking at, sounds like its having trouble exciting. My CC excites the alt even at 250 rpm. I have a very low idle tuned in on that puppy...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

Here is what mine looks like if it helps
    20130902_185305.jpg
    2011 Supra 21V
    Wetsounds Icon8's
    2012 Tundra SR5 Crewmax 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by rideevol View Post
    Do your initial measurement at the battery. 12.7 volts is desirable for a fully charged battery with engine off.
    Engine idling should increase voltage above 12.7 volts which indicates charging, still at the battery posts. Now you have a baseline. Any measurements at gauges, choke heater wires, alternator output wire etc. will now add to your understanding of wire and connection condition. RPM does have some effect even on an alternator so voltage up to 14 is also normal for healthy charging, especially after an engine start-up.
    This is good advise, id start here. for what its worth, my relic 88 sunsport idles at 600rpms, alternator puts of 13.7v at that rpm. my gauge shows 14v at idle. earlier this year my gauge was stuck on 12 just like yours, alll the time. my charge wire from the alternator to the battery was bad, i had to run a new wire.

Check output at the back of the alternator while running, and check the batterys also. if you have over 12.5 at the alternator, but less at the batteries, check the charging wire from the back of the alternator to your batteries. If they are both above 12.5, then id suspect a faulty gauge or a voltage drop somewhere in the instrument cluster. This shouldnt matter if its a digital or anolog gauge, The voltage running through the wires should be the same
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4